Subject: Re: Research on keyword usage

Hi Larry,

First, thanks for all this due diligence! I suspect that others will benefit from your clarification.

So Chet, could you please clarify? Are the ISO and OASIS versions of the OData standard identical – do they both use RFC 2119 keywords? [NOTE: I’d rather not have to buy a copy of the ISO standard to find the answer!] Is the OASIS keyword guidelines FAQ wrong, or out of date, on this point?

I copied the TAB on my reply in case Patrick or someone else wants to weigh in.

First, I do not think OData has been approved a second time at ISO. I just downloaded the copy (available for free) and it is simply the ISO cover pages on top of the OASIS spec. When an initial PAS submission is made, ISO accepts and publishes it as is. My understanding is that on the next submission - e.g. version 2.0 - the copy would have to conform to ISO requirements. Note that these are not just keywords - there are section requirements and some other fine tuning tweaks as well.

Second though - we are not entirely sure of ISO expectations. Patrick is working those out now as we prepare some ebXML specs. He should know how this all works in the not too distant future.

Bottom line: if you expect that you'll want to submit to ISO, you can't go wrong by sticking with the keywords that you know will be accepted. Since ISO's use of MUST differs (in what seems a meaningful way) from RFC2119, I would be careful to use both it and SHALL in a way that will meet ISO expectations to avoid any difficulties.

Best,

/chet