Subject: RE: [sarif] project editor's meeting

Hi David,

Thanks for reading up on conformance clauses. My concern isn't that I'll
have to write a lot of words. It's that to write those words, the main body
of the spec has to be organized so you can say (for example):

- A SARIF log file is conformant if it satisfies the requirements in Section
1.
- A direct SARIF producer is conformant if it satisfies the requirements in
Section 2.
- A SARIF converter is conformant if it satisfies the requirements in
Section 3.
- A SARIF consumer is conformant if it satisfies the requirements in Section
4.

But the spec isn't organized like that. It mixes requirements for log files,
producers, converters, and consumers.

Perhaps we can use the meeting time to come up with a creative approach that
doesn't require massive reorganization of the text. I haven't read the OASIS
guidelines in maybe a month. I'll review them before the meeting and maybe
I'll get inspired.

Thanks again,

From: sarif@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:sarif@lists.oasis-open.org] On
Behalf Of David Keaton
Sent: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 11:36 AM
To: sarif@lists.oasis-open.org

      After reading the OASIS guidelines on conformance clauses, I thought I
ought to add some encouraging words before tomorrow's project editor's
meeting.

      The simpler, the better.  The conformance clause for the entire C
programming language standard is only eight paragraphs long, and they are
short paragraphs.

      First, think about who or what must conform.  Depending on how you
want to approach it, it may be sufficient to specify conformance for a file
in SARIF format.

      If you decide to specify conformance for a SARIF producer and consumer
as well, these can just depend on the conformance clause for a file in SARIF
format.  A conforming producer would have to produce conforming SARIF files,
and a conforming consumer would have to consume any valid SARIF file even if
it includes optional features that the consumer does not use.

      Second, think about what it means to conform.  A conforming SARIF file
could just be a file that satisfies the requirements in the other normative
clauses of the standard.

      Now that you see how simple it can be, the OASIS guidelines are a good
source of advice on the details and should not scare you away.

http://docs.oasis-open.org/templates/TCHandbook/ConformanceGuidelines.html

					David