Subject: RE: [sarif] Another graph design issue: id vs. label

TL;DR: I agree with {node,edge}.label as human-readable text associated with a node or edge.

More details on my thinking:

As the design stands, I have properties named like this:

  • graph.description and graphTraversal.description: With the idea that graphs and traversals as a whole are things you describe to the user.
  • edgeTraversal.message: With the idea that you send a (transient) message to the user as you traverse an edge.

So the question is, what’s the best name for {node,edge}.label?

At first I thought “description” might be better, for consistency with graph and graphTraversal. But after more thought, I like “label”. It sounds like a little sticky note you attach to the edge or node, as opposed to “description”, which sounds more like a narrative, and better fits the larger-scale graph and graphTraversal objects.

Larry