Subject: RE: Please comment on #125

I see!  A SARIF producer enables consumers to access previous versions of an overwritten file not just by mentioning each version in the run.files dictionary, but by persisting their contents there. It seems so obvious now 😊 I can write the text for this now.

Editorial consideration: Explaining this, including an example, will take up a medium amount of space. And it’s not obvious where it does in the spec (in the run.files section? In the uriBaseId section?). So I propose to add a new non-normative Appendix to explain this corner case.

Example below. Note the interplay between originalUriBaseIds, result.location, and the property names in run.files. It’s actually kind of elegant. It gives me faith in our format that it can represent this corner case in such a natural way.

Larry

{                                      # A run object

  "originalUriBaseIds": {

    "generated-1": "file:///dev-machine/c:/project/out/obj",

    "generated-2": "file:///dev-machine/c:/project/out/obj"

  },

  "results": [

    {

      "ruleId": "CA4567",

      "location": {

        "physicalLocation": {

          "fileLocation": {

            "uri": "MainWindow.xaml.g.cs",

            "uriBaseId": "generated-1"

          },

          "region": {

            "startLine": 42

          }

        }

      }

    }

  ],

  "files": {

    "#generated-1#MainWindow.xaml.g.cs": {

      "fileContent": {                 # THIS IS WHAT MAKES IT WORK

      }

    },

    "#generated-2#MainWindow.xaml.g.cs": {

      "fileContent": {