Subject: RE: [sarif] RE: codeFlowLocation.location not required

Come to think of it, two different code flows could refer to the same location, and likewise two different stack frames, so we don’t even need to appeal to recursion to justify restoring stackFrame.message.

From: sarif@lists.oasis-open.org <sarif@lists.oasis-open.org> On Behalf Of Larry Golding (Comcast)
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 3:17 PM
To: 'Michael Fanning' <Michael.Fanning@microsoft.com>
Cc: sarif@lists.oasis-open.org

TL;DR: We can make codeFlowLocation optional, but then we need codeFlowLocation.message (and stackFrame.message).

In Michael’s scenario, we’d want to associate a message like “Resource was locked” with a codeFlowLocation. Now, when we did the location redesign (#130), we removed annotatedCodeLocation.message, because we reasoned “codeFlowLocation has a location property, and the location object has a message property, so we don’t need codeFlowLocation.message.”

But in Michael’s scenario,  codeFlowLocation can’t rely on location.message,  so codeFlowLocation needs a message of its own. In fact, we should never have allowed codeFlowLocation to rely on location.message, because the same code flow could hit the same location multiple times. And the same is true for stackFrame, if the stack has a recursive call.

I filed two CSD.1 issues:

  • #139: Don’t require codeFlowLocation.location.
  • #140: Restore codeFlowLocation.message and stackFrame.message.

Larry