Subject: Proposed design for screenshots: #137

TL;DR: We propose to support screenshots – and in fact, any type of image – by  adding an array of rectangle objects to the attachment object, and allowing any rectangle to have an associated message. This allows you to attach any image and annotate areas of interest in it.

Credit where it’s due: This is Michael’s proposal, simpler than what I originally suggested.

Using the same notation I’ve used in the past, the proposal is:

run
  =attachments:attachment[]

result
  =attachments:attachment[]

attachment
  =fileLocation
  +annotations:annotation[]
  +rectangles:rectangle[]

+rectangle
  top:integer, left:integer, bottom:integer, right:integer
  message

Since the ability to annotate an area is now part of attachment, there’s no need to define a screenshot object, and there’s no need to define a special screenshot “role” in file.roles.

Note the difference between attachment.annotations and attachment.rectangles: attachment.annotations allows you to associate a message with a region of a file; attachment.rectangles allows you to associate a message with an area in an image.

https://github.com/oasis-tcs/sarif-spec/issues/137