Subject: RE: [sarif] Proposed design for screenshots: #137

After a spirited discussion in the issue, I’m going to propose this:

run

 =attachments:attachment[]

result

  =attachments:attachment[]

attachment

  =fileLocation

  +regions:region[]

  +rectangles:rectangle[]

region

  +message

+rectangle

  top:integer, left:integer, bottom:integer, right:integer

  message

An attachment now has an array of regions, and a region can now have a message. The user will usually experience region.message as hover text when the attachment is open in a SARIF viewer.

An attachment now also has an array of rectangles, each of which can also have a message. These rectangles can be used when the attachment is an image – any kind of image, not just a screenshot. The user will usually experience rectangle.message as hover text when the attachment is open in a SARIF viewer.

With this design, there is no need to add a separate screenshot object. There is also no need for the "screenshot" value for file.roles, so I’ll remove it.

Working on the change draft now.

Larry