Subject: RE: [sarif] partialFingerprints: the words the world has been waiting for

We have a slot for computed fingerprints, it is result.fingerprints, so I suggest we don’t overload it. This property is an array in part because Yekaterina indicated that in rare cases a fingerprint would change slightly, and it may be valuable to retain the previously computed version.

Let me repeat a comment that Henny made previously, our success here depends in part on clear semantics around what, exactly, lives in each property. If a correlationId could be either a computed fingerprint or a guid, we could just refer people to the fingerprints array. If you’re looking for an id, just grab the first one in the array.

I really begin to think it’s cleaner if we redefine ids as guids, where guids make sense in the format, i.e., an entirely arbitrary (i.e., not computed from any results data), opaque, and unique. And leave result.fingerprints and result.partialFingerprints dedicated to the fingerprints concept.

From: Larry Golding (Comcast) <larrygolding@comcast.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 3, 2018 3:33 PM
To: Michael Fanning <Michael.Fanning@microsoft.com>; 'O'Neil, Yekaterina Tsipenyuk' <katrina@microfocus.com>; sarif@lists.oasis-open.org; 'O'Neil, Yekaterina Tsipenyuk' <katrina@microfocus.com>

Thanks for reading! Let’s put a pin in your “identifier object” question for a moment so I can ask you:

  1. What do you think of overloading correlationId so it can hold either an arbitrary identifier (as in your usage scenario) or a computed “fingerprint” (as in Yekaterina’s SCA scenario) – as opposed to separate correlationId and fingerprint(s) properties?
  2. Remind me again why “fingerprints” (however we name it or overload it) is plural.

Now as to “identifier object”… as you say, it’s not useful for result.id or result.correlationId (because nobody’s going to generate a human-readable equivalent for those). As to run.automationId and run.stableId – I don’t see the point of a GUID associated with the namespaced human-readable values for this properties. GUIDs are fine when you have to guarantee uniqueness and there’s no central authority. IMO, within any given team’s engineering system, there would be no danger of choosing two identifiers with the same human-readable name, but different semantics requiring them to be distinguished – because you have a central authority. The complexity/value trade-off doesn’t work for me here, but I’m open to persuasion.

Thoughts?