Subject: RE: [sarif] Nested graphs: adopting Luke's proposal

BUT you’re right about the most important point: A viewer could evaluate the graph traversal once at load time, identifying the nodes that represent the start of nested traversals, and counting the nodes from there until the matching “return”. Then, at “traversal time”, if the user selects “step over”, the viewer could just add that count to the array index to find the target node.

So the one disadvantage of Luke’s proposal is even less important than I thought.

Larry

From: sarif@lists.oasis-open.org <sarif@lists.oasis-open.org> On Behalf Of Larry Golding (Comcast)
Sent: Monday, May 7, 2018 9:41 AM
To: 'Michael Fanning' <Michael.Fanning@microsoft.com>; sarif@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Michael,

JSON itself doesn’t have the notion of “array length”, but you’re right that an API like Newtonsoft.Json would represent a JSON array as a .NET array, which has a Length property.

BUT! In Luke’s proposal, a graph traversal is a flat array of edge traversals, each of which refers to an edge, but some of the edges might point to another graph. There is no “nested array” whose length you can take. That was the one advantage of my proposal: you could identify a nested traversal in constant time.

Larry