Subject: RE: [sarif] Re: Determining file encoding

Merging threads. I wrote in response to Michael:

I agree with what you’re saying. I think there is prior art to guide us here.

The HTTP Content-type header has an optional charset parameter:

… which allows any charset registered with IANA. Similarly, an HTML page can optionally specify its encoding:

But! If those items are absent, neither the HTTP nor HTML spec goes on to give you an algorithm for determining the encoding. You’re on your own.

Likewise, SARIF can optionally tell you about file encodings (file.encoding or run.defaultFileEncoding, which allow any charset registered by IANA). But if they’re absent, you’re on your own.

My concern is that the spec as it stands is inconsistent in what it says about determining file encoding. It says one thing in the description of file.encoding, and another in the description of regions. I suggest we remove the paragraph in the description of regions. The spec tells you how you can use file.encoding and run.defaultFileEncoding, if they’re present – but it’s silent about what to do if they’re absent.

That is consistent with what you wrote:

SARIF should say that the encoding is known only if it is specified in the file.  If it is known then that is the encoding.  If it is unknown, then users and viewers will need to determine the encoding of file's using heuristics, and that the file may not be displayed correctly.  I don't think that we need to say anything more than that (we don't need to talk about the BOM or how to guess).

I agree that snippets and regions don’t need to specify encoding. We’ve discussed that previously and reached that conclusion.

I can add the caveat you want about incorrect highlighting (it would be in the section on regions, not snippets).

I will make these changes in the change draft for #93, “Problems with regions” (since that’s where I came across the paragraph I’m going to remove).