Subject: Re: [sarif] Quasi-editorial change: the "baseline run"

Larry,

Your intuition is good that there is a continuum. This one item struck me because it is at the far end, explicitly saying something is out of band but is specified normatively. Let me think about this over the weekend and maybe discuss with you further offline.

Whatever we do, I do not want to cause a rewrite of a lot of text; I just wanted to point out a problem I saw.

					David

On 05/18/2018 09:11 AM, Larry Golding (Comcast) wrote:
That makes a lot of sense. I'm just surprised because we've been moving in the direction of defining conformance profiles for "out of band" participants in the SARIF ecosystem:

#154: Define a "result management system" conformance profile
#166: Define an "engineering system" conformance profile

... and then taking what were formerly "NOTEs" and turning them into normative statements about what these things should do.

So could you please clarify:

- Are you saying that we should not define these conformance profiles?
- Or that we should define them, but not make -any- normative statements around them?
- Or that it's ok to make normative statements around them, but only SHOULD or MAY statements (not SHALL statements)?
- Or something else?

I know you say you won't object, but I'm asking what your recommendation is, from among those options, or some other option I haven't thought of.