Subject: RE: [sarif] "generatedFile" => "uncontrolledFile"

*sigh* Actually there is a possible use. It’s often not possible to fix bugs in generated files, because you don’t have control of the generator. So a team might well decide to ignore all issues in generated files, so that role might be useful.

Of course in that case the team should just exclude the generated files from analysis. After all, if they know enough to mark the files as “generated” in the files dictionary, then they know exactly which files were generated.

So I’m still on the fence (but still leaning towards a simple rename).

Any thoughts from anyone else?

Larry

From: sarif@lists.oasis-open.org <sarif@lists.oasis-open.org> On Behalf Of Larry Golding (Comcast)
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2018 10:16 AM
To: 'James A. Kupsch' <kupsch@cs.wisc.edu>; sarif@lists.oasis-open.org

The purpose of these roles is to help a SARIF consumer who can’t access a VCS to decide what files have changed (and so might need to be reanalyzed). Given that, I don’t see a useful distinction between a generated file and any other file that’s not under source control. In either case, the consumer either has to assume that the file has changed, or it has to keep track of a last-modified time, or a hash, of the file.

So I think generatedFile is not necessary as a separate property, and I propose we rename it to uncontrolledFile.