Subject: RE: [sarif] Important subtlety in region definition (long)

I pushed a revision to the change draft that adds this section:

3.22.4 Independence of text and binary regions

The text-related and binary-related properties in a region object SHALL be treated independently. That is, the value of a text-related property SHALL NOT be inferred from the value of any set of binary-related properties, and vice versa.

EXAMPLE: This example is based on the sample text file show in NOTE 1 of §3.22.2. It represents invalid SARIF because the text-related and binary-related properties are inconsistent. At first glance they appear to be consistent because the byte at offset 2 is indeed on line 1:

{ "startLine": 1, "byteOffset": 2, "byteLength": 6 }

However, because the default values for the missing text-related properties are determined entirely from the existing text-related properties, and independently of any binary-related properties, this region is in fact equivalent to this one:

{

  "startLine": 1,

  "startColumn": 1,  // Missing startColumn defaults to 1.

  "endLine": 1,      // Missing endLine defaults to startLine.

  "endColumn": 6,    // Missing endColumn defaults to (length of endLine + 1),

                     // exclusive of newline sequence.

  "byteOffset": 2

  "byteLength": 6

}

This makes it clear that the text-related and binary-related properties represent different ranges of bytes, and therefore the region is invalid.

Larry