Subject: RE: [sarif] "uri" vs. "location"

Ouch indeed. In fact, now I remember we even discussed the possibility of adding another property that would function just like run.uriBaseIds, except the values would be required to be deterministic (say, run.deterministicUriBaseIds).

We rejected that option. But apparently we didn’t come to a common understanding of what it meant to “reject” it. You thought it meant “Don’t put deterministic URIs in run.uriBaseIds.” I thought it meant “Don’t define a separate property for deterministic URIs; just shove them in run.uriBaseIds”.

Unfortunately for me, your understanding was the correct one. It has to be, for the reason you point out: A post-processing tool that converts a SARIF file to deterministic form will omit run.uriBaseIds, and then I can’t find my work items any more.

So we agree that we use fileLocation only for non-deterministic URIs. So, as part of this issue (#175), I now have to go through the spec and fix up the properties that incorrectly use fileLocation. I’ll have that change draft ready for TC #19.

Larry

From: Michael Fanning <Michael.Fanning@microsoft.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 2:17 PM
To: Larry Golding (Comcast) <larrygolding@comcast.net>; sarif@lists.oasis-open.org

Ouch, you just pointed out an issue. We defined uriBaseIds in part as a mechanism to allow a post-processing tool to elide non-deterministic information. If people simply use this mechanism to DRY out their URLs, they potentially break their absolute URLs without providing an obvious way to restore them (as people can do for version controlled scenarios in some cases by pointing to a local enlistment).

You have a case for this being a useful distinction but it is a non-obvious one in the spec.

I think my personal preference here is that it’s much cleaner to separate things we expect to be absolute (named xxxUri) vs. things we expect to be rebased (fileLocation). Yes, we lose the convenience of reducing log file size but I think it’s a useful trade-off.

Michael