Subject: RE: [sarif] Change draft for #235: External file schema

I have updated this change draft.

In the last TC meeting, we agreed to an amendment where object-valued properties had to be externalized to a single file, while array-valued properties could be externalized to one or more files. The way I implemented that, every property in run.externalFiles was an array of fileLocation objects, but some of the arrays had to contain exactly one element. This was ugly IMO.

Michael suggested an improvement where each property in run.externalFiles is explicitly defined to be either a single fileLocation object or an array of fileLocation object. This not only makes the spec clearer (more explicit), but it removes the unattractive single-element arrays from the file format.

I incorporated this suggestion into the change draft for #235, although strictly speaking this suggestion is unrelated to #235. (#235 is all about the format of the external files; Michael’s suggestion was all about the format of the root file.) Still, for expediency I’d like to discuss them together.

Please take another look at the change draft, if you haven’t already. My changes are entirely in Section 3.11.2.1. I suggest you look at it with “Simple markup” selected. The section is almost entirely rewritten for this change.

From: sarif@lists.oasis-open.org <sarif@lists.oasis-open.org> On Behalf Of Larry Golding (Comcast)
Sent: Wednesday, September 5, 2018 1:54 PM
To: 'OASIS SARIF TC Discussion List' <sarif@lists.oasis-open.org>

I pushed a change draft for Issue #235, “Wrap externalized files with contextual information”:

Documents/ChangeDrafts/Active/sarif-v2.0-issue-235-externalized-file-schema.docx

Please read the description of the issue.

This change also introduces a new schema to describe the external files we introduced at TC #22 (Issue #210, “Provide log deconstruction mechanism to enable more efficient read/write):

Schemata/sarif-externalized-property-schema.json

I will move the adoption of the spec change and the new schema at TC #23 on 9/12.