Subject: 'externalFiles' to 'externalFragments'?

Larry and I were discussing a possible rename yesterday, just sanity checking this with the group. We were specifically noting that we require a naming convention to help distinguish ‘external’ files. The reason is that their only distinguishing characteristic within the file is the $scheme property, which is optional (the version property matches a root/parent SARIF file).

And so a convention to name these files something like *.external.sarif would be useful. Alternately, of course, we could consider defining an entirely new extension, e.g., external-sarif.

When considering either a new extension or a file naming convention, it occurred to me that the use of the term ‘fragment’ would be clearer. And so I have two questions:

  1. What would people think about using ‘externalFragments’ as a name rather than ‘externalFiles’? This would be minimally intrusive in the spec and lead to file names such as ‘example.fragment.sarif’, which is clearer than ‘example.external.sarif’.
  2. What mechanism should we prefer, a naming convention or a new extension? I,.e., ‘example.fragment.sarif’ or ‘example.fragment-sarif’? or even ‘example.sarif-fragment’ (which is entirely readable)

Michael