Subject: RE: external vs fragment redux

Per the spec, the top-level element of an external file is an object of type externalizedProperty. So how about file extension “.sarif-externalized-property”? (Or even “.sarif-property” if “.sarif-externalized-property” is too long for your taste, but I personally favor consistency – in this case, consistency between the object name and the file extension – over brevity.)

Larry

From: Michael Fanning <Michael.Fanning@microsoft.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2018 4:54 PM
To: Larry Golding (Myriad Consulting Inc) <v-lgold@microsoft.com>; OASIS SARIF TC Discussion List <sarif@lists.oasis-open.org>

I’m not persuaded. Your argument appears to mostly hinge on the term ‘fragment’ causing confusion in the spec. I’m willing to yield that point but presumably, we should be tuning for how the file names read, not the spec. And I’m not convinced that file.sarif-external-file is sufficiently

Interestingly, I don’t share your sense of ‘fragment’ as irregular. By one standard definition of ‘fragment’, it is a clear use. 1. a small part broken or separated off something.

You can refer to these in the spec as ‘external fragments’ to create more consistency in your use of ‘externalizable.

I’d be glad to consider another term that is clearer than ‘external-files’ over ‘fragment’ if someone can suggest one. ‘Segment’, ‘section’ or ‘shard’ come closest to being appropriate, looking around on a synonym site.

Michael