Subject: RE: [sarif] RE: your thoughts on DARIF

Thank you all for so enthusiastically responding!

I, however, would still argue that DARIF should be separate from SARIF. In Fortify’s experience, what you need to describe dynamic results is very different from what you need to describe static results. And I would argue against extending SARIF, especially considering there is a talk of incorporating other types of analyses. I am wondering, however, whether it would be possible to create a suite of standards under the same umbrella and structure it in such a way that one is able to implement/use part of the suite according to their needs. Is it possible to create something like a Program Analysis Results Interchange Format (PARIF) that contains sections for SARIF, DARIF, CCARIF (“code coverage”), MARIF (“metrics”) , etc.?

Thoughts?

From: sarif@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:sarif@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Larry Golding (Myriad Consulting Inc)
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2019 4:42 PM
To: Michael Fanning <Michael.Fanning@microsoft.com>; Paul Anderson <paul@grammatech.com>; Yekaterina O'Neil <katrina@microfocus.com>; sarif@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: David Keaton <dmk@dmk.com>

Actually, if we can maintain back compat (only adding to the schema, no changes or deletions) then according to Semver DARIF could go out as a minor revision 2.2.0:

Ø  Bug fixes not affecting the API increment the patch version, backwards compatible API additions/changes increment the minor version, and backwards incompatible API changes increment the major version.

That would go down much more easily for existing customers of SARIF 2.1.0.

And it wouldn’t prevent us from bug-fixing the current spec as 2.1.1.

Larry