sca-assembly-comment message

Subject: Rebuttal: Against the use of portability and functions as reasonsfor requiring one of the existing 4 languages

Hi,

I haven't had much time lately to participate in TC discussions on
language conformance due to other commitments. However, I did have the
opportunity to discuss the technical merits of this issue at length
with people from Microsoft. I think I understand where they are coming
from and believe there may be a way to accommodate Microsoft's
concerns while also improving the SCA specifications.

Coupling conformance to the Assembly specification with one of the
"official" TC languages places an unneeded and expensive burden on
potential implementors that may not support one of those languages.
This is particularly evident given the OASIS requirement for two
independent conformant implementations. The original spirit of
assembly was language independence and that can be maintained. It
seems the main sticking point is with conformance testing: namely, how
can language independent tests be created that verify assembly
assertions?

As a proposal, I believe it is feasible to use composite
implementations to create language independent verification tests. The
tests would make extensive use of the implementation.composite type as
well as service and reference promotions. The actual implementations
would be contained in a separate contribution (or contributions) and
made available to the using composite via the contribution import/
export mechanism. The verification tests would be run against the
components using the composites and their promoted services, which
would result in language independent conformance checks.

As a convenience, composites which used "official" language types such
as implementation.java or implementation.bpel could be made available.
However, it would also be possible for a vendor to supply their own
composites that used a proprietary language.

Making assembly truly language independent would have two significant
benefits, specifically portability and expanding SCA's relevance.
Realistically, the best chance of achieving portability for SCA is at
the assembly level. The further one goes "down" - e.g. into policy,
component implementations, and actual application code - portability
becomes problematic. For example, policy is not likely to be portable
given the ability to use different policy languages. The Java
specification also does not address many of the areas required to
write portable applications such as database access and using managed
threads. If Java EE is any indicator, achieving portability of
application code is likely to require years of effort, and even then
the results are likely to be incomplete. However, in my opinion,
portability at the assembly level is a realistic goal and should be
pursued by making it as language independent as possible.

Language independence would also expand the relevance of assembly to
areas Java EE could never touch. Assembly can be used across a host of
proprietary programming languages, essentially providing a portable
blueprint of systems, regardless of the technologies they run on. In
my opinion, this may prove to be the most important contribution SCA
has to make.

Jim