Subject: RE: [sca-bpel] Issue 12: Long-Running Request-Response Operations

Corrected the subject - s/Issue 5/Issue 12

From: Mike Edwards [mailto:mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, Nov 07, 2007 2:38 AM
To: OASIS BPEL; OASIS Assembly
Subject: [sca-bpel] Issue 5: Long-Running Request-Response Operations

Anish,

(I am copying this email to Assembly as well as BPEL - I think there is an Assembly issue lurking here that applies cross-language)

You are correct in saying that the behaviour sought is like that implied by the NonAnonymousResponses assertion.

Another way of putting things, more in SCA terms, is that these sorts of operations actually imply a Callback style of interface.

This is important, since it means, for example, that the initial request operation by the client will complete without a response from
the service provider (as you say, there is an HTTP response but NOT a WSDL response).  The response from the service
operation arrives later as a separate connection.  This is *precisely* the idea behind callbacks and its asynchonous nature
is then "obvious" to the client, since there is a requirement to provide the callback interface to get the WSDL response message.

OK, so far.

Client Implementation

The first implication for me is on the client programming API.  What is described in WSDL terms as a Request/Response operation
is regularly mapped (using Java as the example) to a client API like:

SomeResponseMessageType response someOperation( SomeRequestMessageType request ) throws OperationException1, OperationException2

....but in the case of "long running" operations must be mapped to something more like:

a)  void someOperation( SomeRequestMessageType request )

and

b)  void someOperationResponse( SomeResponseMessageType response ) throws OperationException1, OperationException2

...where the client calls a reference with an interface including a) but where the client must provide an interface including b)

There is also the need for a correlation between the original call to a) and the callback on b).  This might be achieved through
an ID being generated by the system when a) is called (would need to be returned on the call), which can then be gathered from
the context when the callback is called.  Or it could be done in the now "approved" asynchronous fashion for Java, by returning
a Future<type x> object from a) - and which would then implement the interface b) and get called when the response message
arrives back at the client.

Service Implementation

The second implication for me is on the service implementation.  The service implementation must know to "release" the protocol
stack which made the original service invocation, ideally rapidly after the original request arrives.  There is then the need  for the
protocol stack to make a completely new connection when dealing with the response message.

Now, this could be done via the Binding code - with the simple call-and-return style preserved for the service implementation.
However, this may or may not be a sensible way of doing things.  The alternative is that the service implementation takes the
original request, gets a callback reference stores it and returns rapidly, long before the operation is actually complete - the
callback reference is then used whenever the operation does complete asynchronously.  The latter approach would use
the split interface style of a) and b) above.

WSDL and Interface handling

One way of approaching this then is to affect the interpretation of the WSDL:

a) Let's assume that the WSDL operation is request/response

b) Let's assume that the WSDL operation is marked "long running" (some annotation to this effect)

c) WSDL2LanguageX tools would have modified behaviour when encountering this annotation and would generate
the "dual interface" mapping implied above.  Clearly this does not apply to BPEL, which uses WSDL "native".

d) Clients and Providers in some native language would use the "dual interface" form and construct their code
appropriately, in callback style.

e) If WSDL is used directly, then its interpretation by runtime and binding code will be consistent with the interpretation
give here.

f) The WSDL annotation COULD be viewed as a Policy intent - it is just that its implications go a bit further than selecting
an appropriate policyset  for the binding, since it affects the form of the client and provider code.  This intent might
imply the WS-Policy assertion that Anish picks out, in the case of Web services.  In the case of JMS and messaging
subsystems, things might be different (and simpler).

Conclusion

I hope that this helps in the debate - it is an interesting problem and a common case once we deal with long-running
business processes.

Anish Karmarkar <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>

01/11/2007 06:29

Dieter Koenig1 <dieterkoenig@de.ibm.com>
cc
Danny van der Rijn <dannyv@tibco.com>, sca-bpel@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject
Re: [sca-bpel] NEW ISSUE: Long-Running Request-Response Operations

Dieter,

Does the WS-Addressing WS-Policy assertion wsam:NonAnonymousResponses
[1] help here?

That assertion says that the effective ReplyTo and FaultTo EPRs must be
non-anonymous. I.e., reply is sent over a separate connection. That
means in the HTTP case, the HTTP response (not the WSDL response) to the
request is sent right away (relatively) and the WSDL response is sent in
a separate HTTP connection asynchronously to the non-anon ReplyTo.

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-ws-addr-metadata-20070904/#wspolicynonanonresponses