Subject: Corrected minutes of 2007-11-06 is attached

Correction changes mover of proposal for closure of Assembly-12 to
DiFranco er his request

Title: SCA-Assy - 2007-11-06

OASIS Logo

- DRAFT -

SCA-Assembly TC Teleconference

Attendees

Present
Keith McFarlin, (---)
Charlton Barreto, (Adobe Systems)
fred carter, (AmberPoint)
Dale Moberg, (Axway Software*)
David DiFranco, (BEA Systems, Inc.)
Michael Rowley, (BEA Systems, Inc.)
Reza Shafii, (BEA Systems, Inc.)
Tom Rutt, (Fujitsu Limited*)
Robert Freund, (Hitachi, Ltd.)
Eric Wells, (Hitachi, Ltd.)
Michael Beisiegel, (IBM)
David Booz, (IBM)
Graham Charters, (IBM)
Mike Edwards, (IBM)
Simon Holdsworth, (IBM)
Dieter Koenig, (IBM)
Simon Nash, (IBM)
Peter Niblett, (IBM)
Peter Furniss, (Iris Financial Solutions Ltd.)
Jeff Estefan, (Jet Propulsion Laboratory:*)
Martin Chapman, (Oracle Corporation)
Rich Levinson, (Oracle Corporation)
Ashok Malhotra, (Oracle Corporation)
Jeff Mischkinsky, (Oracle Corporation)
Ron Barack, (SAP AG*)
Henning Blohm, (SAP AG*)
Sanjay Patil, (SAP AG*)
Peter Peshev, (SAP AG*)
Prasad Yendluri, (Software AG, Inc.*)
Peter Walker, (Sun Microsystems)
Sabin Ielceanu, (TIBCO Software Inc.)
Scott Vorthmann, (TIBCO Software Inc.)
Chair
Martin Chapman and Mike Edwards
Scribe
Bob Freund
Agenda:

1. Opening
Introductions
Roll call
Scribe confirmation
Agenda bashing
2. Approval of minutes of SCA-Assembly TC meeting of 30th October
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-assembly/200710/msg00131.html
3. Action Items from Previous Meeting
2007-10-30-1: Martin to take up the question of the incrementing process wrt to CD and WDs with Mary
2007-10-30-2: Edwards to review headings at end of submitted errata document and to open those that are appropriate in jira
4. New Issues
5. Open Issues
ASSEMBLY-6: usage of not promoted references
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-6
ASSEMBLY-12: Abstract base type for Service and Reference
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-12
Follow up on action item and discussion on the email list.
6. Status of Working Draft of the Assembly Specification
7. Conformance Statements in the Assembly Specification
Discussion item
8. AOB

Contents

Topics
[1]  Opening
[2]  Action items
[3]  New Issues
[4]  Issue Assembly-6 Not promoted referenes
[5]  Issue Assembly-12 Abstract base type for service and reference
[6]  Status of WG
[7]  Conformance Statements
[8]  AOB
Table of Resolutions
Table of Action Items

Action Items

Old:
2007-10-30-1: id=2007-10-30-1 status=closed per Martin- Mary's interpretation it is according to the method presented by Sanjay last week, but it is different from his interpretation of the TC process
2007-10-30-2: id=2007-10-30-2 status=Closed Edwards opened all the errata items opened in OSOA as new issues in this TC. There is one uncertain item which is under consideration to discern its status
New:
2007-11-06-1: Booz to weigh his concern and generate a refined proposal that deals with the other aspects of the issue
2007-11-06-2: Beisigel to conviene editors to produce a working draft prior to the next meeting

Resolutions

Minutes

Scribe: Bob Freund

Opening

meeting is quorate with 22 of 33 participants

Agenda agreed
Resolution: M:Walker S:Booz minutes of 2007-10-30 approved w/o

Action items

Action: id=2007-10-30-1 status=closed per Martin- Mary's interpretation it is according to the method presented by Sanjay last week, but it is different from his interpretation of the TC process
Edwards:
In principle we can continue to use the method as presented by Sanjay last week unless and until we hear otherwise
<Mike Edwards>
<Martin C>
Resolution: m: Sanjay s: Henning Approve guidelines as contained in http://docs.oasis-open.org/specGuidelines/namingGuidelines/metadata.html w/o
Action: id=2007-10-30-2 status=Closed Edwards opened all the errata items opened in OSOA as new issues in this TC. There is one uncertain item which is under consideration to discern its status

New Issues

Edwards:
Only just sent a bunch of new issues, folks may have not had a chance to review. Perhaps we ought to introduce them next week.

Issue Assembly-6 Not promoted referenes

Edwards:
PeterP, has there been an advancement in the proposal?
PeterP:
There is some concern that an outstanding item may affect this issue or may possibly be raised as a new issue
<Peter Peshev>
Latest PROPOSAL :
The following description should be added in section 1.6.2 References,
after line 1387 (that line is after the paragraph that explains
attaching a binding to a reference and before the paragraph explaining
callback) :
Promotion of references accessing endpoints via bindings is suggested
practice since it allows the assembler to change the targets of the
references or the specified bindings and encourages component reuse,
however the lack of such promotion by itself MUST NOT cause errors
during deployment or runtime if the target of the reference can be
identified. The assembler is expected to guarantee for an unpromoted
reference with multiplicity 1..1 or 1..n that one of the following
conditions holds : there is either internal wire within the scope of the
current composite or a binding that identifies correctly either the
component/service for a wire to an endpoint within the SCA domain or
the accessible address of some endpoint outside the SCA domain. If the
assembler does not provide these conditions for an unpromoted reference
that has a multiplicity of 1..1 or 1..n, then such an unresolved
reference MUST generate an error at latest during the first attempt to
use the component. If the assembler does not provide these conditions
for an unpromoted reference that has a multiplicity with 0..1 or 0..n ,
then the programming model MUST not generate deployment errors and the
reference's wiring state will be represented in accordance to the
implementation type in question (e.g. null, handle that throws
exceptions when accessed, extensibility hooks, etc.).
For example the following definition MUST NOT generate any error if the
composite is deployed to the domain :
<composite xmlns="http://www.osoa.org/xmlns/sca/1.0"
name="MyValueComposite">
<component name="MyValueServiceComponent">
<implementation.java class="services.myvalue.MyValueServiceImpl"/>
<reference name="StockQuoteService">
<binding.ws uri="http://www.sqs.com/StockQuoteService"/>
</reference>
<reference name="StockQuoteService2">
<binding.jms>
<destination name="StockQuoteServiceQueue"/>
<connectionFactory name="StockQuoteServiceQCF"/>
</binding.jms>
</reference>
</component>
<!-- no references and promotion on purpose -->
</composite>
however the following definitions MUST generate error if the reference
defined in the component type has multiplicity 1..1:
<composite xmlns="http://www.osoa.org/xmlns/sca/1.0"
name="MyValueComposite">
<component name="MyValueServiceComponent">
<implementation.java class="services.myvalue.MyValueServiceImpl"/>
<reference name="StockQuoteService">
<binding.ws uri="http://www.sqs.com/StockQuoteService"/>
</reference>
<reference name="UnwiredReference">
<!-- the target cannot be determined, that should be an
error-->
<binding.ws/>
</reference>
</component>
<!-- no references and promotion on purpose -->
</composite>

... the current proposal is as pasted above
PeterP:
This is as it has been discussed on the mailing list

... items concerning description of the deployment error is not yet included since it might be best included in a new issue
Chapman:
This comment relates to our conformance targets. Either we ought to get it right now or we might address these targets as a separate item
<charltonb>
agreed Martin
Edwards:
Is this proposal an adequate resolution?
Booz:
I am concerned that this text targets the wrong place in the spec and does not fuly address the jira log

... but I have not had the time to develop a more focused proposal.
Action: Booz to weigh his concern and generate a refined proposal that deals with the other aspects of the issue

Issue Assembly-12 Abstract base type for service and reference

DiFranco:
There are two different isues...

... what do we call this new type and

... missed it
Edwards:
proposal is to change the name to contract instead of bindable (noun instead of adj)
DiFranco:
Not inclined in accept supertype as part of this poposal
<Mike Edwards>
<complexType name="Contract" abstract="true">
<sequence>
<element ref="sca:interface" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1" />
<element name="operation" type="scaperation" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded" />
<choice minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded">
<element ref="sca:binding" />
<any namespace="##other" processContents="lax" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded" />
</choice>
<element ref="sca:callback" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1" />
<any namespace="##other" processContents="lax" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded" />
</sequence>
<attribute name="name" type="NCName" use="required" />
<attribute name="requires" type="sca:listOfQNames" use="optional" />
<attribute name="policySets" type="sca:listOfQNames" use="optional"/>
<anyAttribute namespace="##any" processContents="lax" />
</complexType>

<complexType name="Service">
<complexContent>
<extension base="sca:Contract">
<attribute name="promote" type="anyURI" use="required" />
</extension>
</complexContent>
</complexType>

<complexType name="Reference">
<complexContent>
<extension base="sca:Contract">
<attribute name="target" type="sca:listOfAnyURIs" use="optional"/>
<attribute name="wiredByImpl" type="boolean" use="optional" default="false"/>
<attribute name="multiplicity" type="sca:Multiplicity" use="optional" default="1..1" />
<attribute name="promote" type="sca:listOfAnyURIs" use="required" />
</extension>
</complexContent>
</complexType>
Edwards:
pasted above is the current proposal

many... discussing implication as to schema
Resolution: M:DiFranco S:Malhotra Close and resolve issue Assembly-12 with proposal as defined above. w/o

Status of WG

Edwards:
Drat, what a shame that

... Anish is not here, would any of the other editors like to speak up?
Action: Beisigel to conviene editors to produce a working draft prior to the next meeting

Conformance Statements

Edwards:
Do folks have an idea as to how we can go about developing better conformance statements which are now not contained in the spec?
Chapman:
I think that developing conformance targets might be the best place to start
Edwards:
A question concerning to me is how do we address the qustion such as the optionality of an attribute in the data structure?
Chapman:
The challange is defining what artifacts obey the rules
<charltonb>
artefact
Niblett:
We ought to be keen to sort out cardinality from conformance
<charltonb>
artefacts
Chapman:
One has to make it absolutely clear as to who it is optional for
<charltonb>
+1 Martin
Chapman:
Deigns to disagree with jeffM
JeffM:
Question marks in the schema are ok
Niblett:
RFC 2119 Optional relates to what may or may not be done. What we need is English words that represent question mark in schema
Edwards:
Let us start to discuss this on the mailing list
Chapman:
Folks please look at the conformance guidelines I wrote for the TAB (as yet not approved)

AOB

straggler roll
Edwards:
If you plan to miss next weeks meeting please send me a mail
<Mike Edwards>
thanks folks

meeting adjourned
<Martin C>

[End of Minutes]
Formatted on 2007-11-07 at 16:47:06 GMT-5

Minutes formatted by Schreiber, a collection of XSLT stylesheets by Bob Freund modeled after David Booth's scribe

Schreiber diagnostics output

[Delete this section before publishing the minutes]

statistics: Schreiber found 215 input lines

edits: Schreiber found the following text-edit commands:

edits: Line 219: bob: s/artifact/artifacts

edits: Line 220: bob: s/obeys/obey

edits: Line 236: bob: s/confirmance/conformance

command-scribe: Line 3: Bob Freund recognized

command-scribe: Schreiber detected that this section was scribed online

citation-detection-irc1: Line 46: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'http'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 50: Check for possible unrecognized nick '2007-10-30-1'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 51: Check for possible unrecognized nick '2007-10-30-2'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 57: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'ASSEMBLY-6'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 58: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'http'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 60: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'ASSEMBLY-12'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 61: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'http'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 93: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'callback) '

citation-detection-irc1: Line 102: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'conditions holds '

citation-detection-irc1: Line 174: Check for possible unrecognized nick '<element ref="sca'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 177: Check for possible unrecognized nick '<element ref="sca'

citation-detection-irc1: Line 180: Check for possible unrecognized nick '<element ref="sca'

edit-substitute: command on line 219 succeeded, changed line 218 from 'artifact' to 'artifacts'

edit-substitute: command on line 220 succeeded, changed line 218 from 'obeys' to 'obey'

edit-delete: Line 219 was deleted

edit-delete: Line 220 was deleted

edit-substitute: command on line 236 succeeded, changed line 230 from 'confirmance' to 'conformance'

edit-delete: Line 236 was deleted

system: Transformer: SAXON SA 8.9

[End of Schreiber diagnostic output]