Subject: ISSUE 11 - Define Conformance Targets

OK, first some discussion, then a Proposal:

There are a number of possible targets for the conformance statements in the Assembly specification:

- SCA Runtime (I note that this is a somewhat ill-defined target...) which executes the artifacts described in
the specification

- SCA Assembler / Deployer (who may be responsible for creating/modifying the artifacts) - on the other
hand I think it is a little strange to dictate what a person may do....

- Other programs which may handle SCA artifacts - I am thinking principally of tooling.  These are not
runtimes that are executing the artifacts, but shouldn't they also be required to react to artifacts which are
illegal according to the specification?

- SCA Composite documents themselves.  This is one I find harder to consider.  The spec does largely deal
with what is legal and what is illegal within these documents - but are the documents themselves the
targets?  We have to decide which aspects of the documents are mandatory and which are optional from
a runtime support perspective (eg <composite/> is mandatory, so is <component/>, but <implementation.java/>
is not.    There is the other aspect of what is mandatory and what is optional in actual document instances
(this is aimed more at the developer/assembler/deployer) .  Plus there is the handling of extensions of all
kinds.  The SCA composites are deliberately very extensible.

Proposal:

The following conformance targets are identified by the SCA Assembly specification:

a) SCA runtime

which is a program which executes the entities described by an SCA assembly, which is a collection
of one or more SCA composites.

b) SCA Deployer

which is an entity (usually a person) which is responsible for deploying SCA artifacts into the SCA
Domain and causing them to execute on an SCA runtime.

c) SCA Assembler

which is a person responsible for creating SCA composites.

The following are NOT conformance targets:

- SCA composite documents (their syntax and sematics are defined in the Assembly specification,
but they are not in themselves conformance targets)

- Other programs which deal with SCA assemblies, such as tools/editors