Subject: RE: [ASSEMBLY-31] Wiring from a reference with no binding to a service witha binding

Dave,

Comments inline.

David Booz <booz@us.ibm.com> wrote on 29/11/2007 13:59:08:

> First to Mike E's proposal with my comments <dab> </dab>:
>
> - binding.sca is only present on a service or a reference if:
> a) it is explicitly specified
> b) no binding is specified at all (ie then it is the default binding)
> <dab> right </dab>
>
> - binding.sca is regarded as compatible for wiring purposes with any
> other binding type, and the actual
> binding used is the binding type on the other end of the wire.  If both
> ends of the wire are binding.sca then
> the runtime is free to choose the actual binding to use.
> <dab> This raises a deployment problem when new clients, which use
> something
> other than binding.sca, are deployed after a service that exposes only
> binding.sca.  This would force the service to be re-deployed in order
> to create the new protocol/binding endpoint. </dab>

In my model, this is not a redeployment.  This is the creation of a new
endpoint for the existing service component.  I think binding.sca does
this already due to the ability to use "shortcuts" when the client and
provider run in the same process (for example).

> binding.sca will be declared as supporting a particular set of intents
> <dab> I assume this is done through the bindingTypes declaration
> so that vendors can decide what intents they want their binding.sca
> implementation
>  to support.</dab>

I hadn't thought of it like that - I thought that the specifications would
simply lay down a list of supported intents.  However, I can see the merits
of an approach like the one you describe.  The downside is that binding.sca
would mean different things on different vendors runtimes.

> if a reference or service uses intents not supported by binding.sca then
> it is an error if binding.sca is used
> for that service/reference
> <dab> right </dab>
>
> Second, to Peter's idea:
> In general I agree because it avoids the deployment problem I mentioned
> above and
> because binding.sca should be the 80%, maybe 90% use case for component
> interactions.  The additional burden for the 10-20% is not onerous IMHO.
>

> Going back to the original problem, another alternative might be to have
> slightly different rules for consumers versus providers.  I don't like
> asymmetry, but
> let's try this out anyway for a moment.  What if we allowed a reference
> with only
> binding.sca to wire to any provider binding, AND we require that any
> non-binding.sca reference to match (binding type match) a provider binding?
>
> 1) This avoids the deployment problem.
> 2) This would allow a reference binding.sca implementation to morph itself
> into
> any provider binding (ed: which is one of the reaons that SCA should
> _never_
> try to create a cross vendor interoperable binding.sca). It enables easier
> access
> to the one of the 10-20% use cases (domain component using another
> Domain component that is also exposed outside the domain).
> 3) It would also work with callbacks as the provider only has to be able to
> speak
> what he's already configured to speak.

This is a subset of my proposal.  Depends on whether you think that a
provider using "binding.sca" is capable of running multiple endpoints
simultaneously for different protocols.  I think that this is OK, so I don't
need to subset the proposal and it remains symmetric.

Interesting to see what other folk think on this point.