Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] ISSUE-31: Wiring from a reference with no binding to aservice with a binding

Of couse I understand, but it doesn't change my fundamental assertion.  I
could live with a very small number of 'MUST support' intents such that:
1) none of them smell like some other binding, such as an intent called
'JMS', and
2) that they are encoded in the bindingType definition for binding.sca

In reality, each vendor is going to have so many extensions all over the
SCDL that I think this question of portability will become a mute point
anyway.  This is just one example.

Dave Booz
STSM, SCA and WebSphere Architecture
Co-Chair OASIS SCA-Policy TC
Poughkeepsie, NY (845)-435-6093  or  8-295-6093
e-mail:booz@us.ibm.com
http://washome.austin.ibm.com/xwiki/bin/view/SCA2Team/WebHome

             Mike Edwards
             <mike_edwards@uk.
             ibm.com>                                                   To
                                       "OASIS Assembly"
             12/04/2007 10:15          <sca-assembly@lists.oasis-open.org>

                                                                   Subject
                                       [sca-assembly] ISSUE-31: Wiring
                                       from a reference with no binding to
                                       a service with a binding

Dave,

Comment inline.

Yours,  Mike.

Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

David Booz <booz@us.ibm.com> wrote on 04/12/2007 15:07:11:

> Picking out only one part of your reply:
>
> Dave said:
> > binding.sca will be declared as supporting a particular set of intents
> > <dab> I assume this is done through the bindingTypes declaration
> > so that vendors can decide what intents they want their binding.sca
> > implementation
> >  to support.</dab>
> Mike said:
> I hadn't thought of it like that - I thought that the specifications
would
> simply lay down a list of supported intents.  However, I can see the
merits

> of an approach like the one you describe.  The downside is that
binding.sca

> would mean different things on different vendors runtimes.
>
> I think this is fundamentally important. binding.sca is already not
> interoperable across vendors for very important reasons.  I see no reason
> to constrain the intents that binding.sca supports, in the same way that
we
> should not constrain the intents supported by any other binding.  This is
> an appropriate place for vendor freedom and for community/industry
> involvement over time to fine tune the important aspects of the standard.
> We're only on v1 right now.

My concern is not interoperability but rather portability.  If binding.sca
supports different intents on different runtimes, it will make composites
hard to port.

Flexibility is good until it starts to cause problems.

741598.