Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] ISSUE 40: Proposed Resolution

Your new words are fine with me.

As to your question about doing 1 or 2, but not 3.  Suppose a given runtime
implementation has the ability to support more than one SCA Domain.  One of
those Domains could be configured to behave as in 1), but a second Domain
could be configured to behave as in 2).  From my perspective, that's one
runtime that does 1 and 2, but not 3.  This has to be allowed and I believe
it is as per the words 'For components at the Domain level...runtime takes
ONE of 3...'.  This says to me that it's a combination of the Domain
configuration and the runtime that must do one of the 3 options.  If this
is not what you intended then we have a much larger problem.

I hope that folks are not interpreting an SCA Domain as the same thing as a
runtime.  They are independent.

Dave Booz
STSM, SCA and WebSphere Architecture
Co-Chair OASIS SCA-Policy TC
Poughkeepsie, NY (845)-435-6093  or  8-295-6093
e-mail:booz@us.ibm.com
http://washome.austin.ibm.com/xwiki/bin/view/SCA2Team/WebHome

             Mike Edwards
             <mike_edwards@uk.
             ibm.com>                                                   To
                                       "OASIS Assembly"
             04/30/2008 07:18          <sca-assembly@lists.oasis-open.org>

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [sca-assembly] ISSUE 40:
                                       Proposed Resolution

Folks,

I'm not happy with being unclear about the consequences of the 3
alternatives
While the words "fix the result" may be poor, they are an attempt to be
clear
about the actual behaviour that will result. I've put some updated words
below.

I don't follow the thought that an SCA runtime can do 1 & 2 but not 3.
In my proposal an SCA runtime can only do ONE of these 3 things.

For components at the Domain level, with References that are marked as
@autowire="true", the behaviour of the SCA runtime takes ONE of the 3
following forms:

1) The SCA runtime MAY disallow deployment of any components with autowire
References.  In this case, the SCA runtime MUST generate an exception at
the
point where the component is deployed

2) The SCA runtime MAY evaluate the target(s) for the reference at the time

that the component is deployed and not update those targets when later
deployment actions occur.

3) The SCA runtime MAY re-evaluate the target(s) for the reference
dynamically as later deployment actions occur resulting in updated
reference targets which match the new Domain configuration.  How
the new configuration of the reference takes place is described by
the relevant client and implementation specifications.

Yours,  Mike.

Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

 David Booz <booz@us.ibm.com>

                                               sca-assembly@lists.oasis-op
                                               en.org
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                               Re: [sca-assembly] ISSUE
                                               40: Proposed Resolution

My only quibble is over the words 'fix the result'.  I think I know what
you mean, but I dont think it's necessary to say.  If a runtime chose to do
1 and 2, but not 3, then the result of 2 would be 'fixed' by definition
because 3 is what introduces dynamicity.

Attempting a slight reword:

1) ...as you have it is fine...

2) The SCA runtime MAY associate target(s) with the reference at the time
the component is deployed.

3) The SCA runtime MAY re-evaluate the target(s) for the reference
dynamically as later deployment actions
occur resulting in updated reference targets to match the new Domain
configuration.  How the new configuration of
the reference takes place is described by the relevant client and
implementation specifications.

Dave Booz
STSM, SCA and WebSphere Architecture
Co-Chair OASIS SCA-Policy TC
Poughkeepsie, NY (845)-435-6093  or  8-295-6093
e-mail:booz@us.ibm.com
http://washome.austin.ibm.com/xwiki/bin/view/SCA2Team/WebHome

            Mike Edwards
            <mike_edwards@uk.
            ibm.com>                                                   To
                                      "OASIS Assembly"
            04/29/2008 05:28          <sca-assembly@lists.oasis-open.org>

                                                                  Subject
                                      [sca-assembly] ISSUE 40: Proposed
                                      Resolution

Folks,

Here is a proposal for he resolution of Issue 40: