Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] ISSUE 47:Operation element for Interface

Bryan,

I have to admit to not following the argument you are making here - it might be useful if we could work on a couple of
use cases to help motivate the issue and the potential solutions.

Bryan Aupperle <aupperle@us.ibm.com>

02/06/2008 18:24

sca-assembly@lists.oasis-open.org
cc
Subject
[sca-assembly] ISSUE 47:Operation element for Interface

Upon further reflection o this issues, the original proposal is not sufficient.

Suppose a service is bidirectional and both the forward and callback interfaces have a cancel method that need to be denoted as endsConversation in the SCDL.  A single operation child element is not sufficient to handle this case.  We need operation and callbackOperation child elements; each with the name, oneWay and endsConversatioon attributes described in the original proposal.

Note  that I am not suggesting a complete replication of the interface definition,  Only those operations that need the SCA attributes would need to be listed in the SCDL.

When we discussed opening this issues, the question was raised if we could extend the existing operation child element of service and reference instead of adding an operation element to interface.   It seems more natural to me to have operations belong to interfaces.  However, if we go that direction, we still have to address the callback problem above.

Bryan Aupperle, Ph.D.
STSM, WebSphere Enterprise Platform Software Solution Architect
Master Inventor

Research Triangle Park,  NC
+1 919-254-7508 (T/L 444-7508)
Internet Address: aupperle@us.ibm.com