Subject: Discussion: Conformance version of Assembly Specification - Static vsRuntime marking

Folks,

On the Assembly call this week, when we discussed the Conformance version of the Assembly Specification,
there was a suggestion made that the various normative statements should be labelled in a way that distinguishes
between "static checks" and those which are "runtime checks".

I am not in favour of doing this for the simple reason that I don't see its value.

It will certainly lead to a lot of debate about whether a given normative statement is of one kind or the other - and I
also forsee that some of the statements actually will fall into both categories, depending on what entities are
being considered.  So, for example, you can statically check the contents of a composite used as an implementation
- but you can't do this for the Domain composite, even though it contains mostly the same elements.

There is also the question of the construction of runtimes.  SCA runtimes may be rather vaied in nature.  Some will be
very static, where everything must be laid out and resolved before the runtime starts.  Others will be very dynamic,
allowing changes on the fly while the system is running.  Predicting when a runtime will be able to check some
given normative statement is a difficult exercise.

I'd appreciate other folks' views on this point, so we can be prepared to make a decision next Tuesday.