Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] Problems in the application of Resolution for Assembly57 to the Specification - Proposed editorial fixes

Anish,

Thanks for taking the time to check this over - the more eyes the better for this stuff, I think.

From your comments, I assume that you're not suggesting any changes to the editorial changes here.

Some comments line

Anish Karmarkar <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com> wrote on 25/11/2008 06:35:44:

> [image removed]

> Re: [sca-assembly] Problems in the application of Resolution for
> Assembly 57 to the Specification - Proposed editorial fixes

> Anish Karmarkar

> to:

> OASIS Assembly

> 25/11/2008 06:36

> Mike Edwards wrote:
> >
> > Folks,
> >
> > Assembly 57 is the issue that decided that any <binding/> on a
> > <reference/> MUST identify a target
> > service either via @uri or via binding-specific mechanisms.
> >
> > This essentially outlaws the use of the reference @target attribute with
> > any <binding/> child elements
> > on the same reference.
> >

> That means we don't allow a ref with multiplicity >1 to point to a SCA
> service *and* an external service. Not sure if this is a mainline
> usecase, but wanted to point it out.

<mje>
No, that actually isn't the case.  A <binding.sca/> element can be present with its @uri
attribute set to some target.  This can legally be mixed with other bindings:

eg.
<component name="foo">
        <implementation.java class="com.foo.someImpl"/>
        <reference name="someRef">
                <binding.ws uri="http://www.acme.com/orders/widgets"/>
                <binding.sca uri="bar/service1"/>
        </reference>
</component>

...this is perfectly OK and shows a reference linked both "internally" and "externally"
</mje>

> > It also implies that there is no choosing between multiple <binding/>
> > child elements, since they all
> > apply, once they identify a target.
> >

> Not sure what you mean.
> Do you mean that a reference can't choose a specific binding of a
> service? If so, I recall that we allowed that via the use of the @name
> attribute on service bindings.

<mje>
Perhaps I should have explained myself better.  Originally, where there was a reference with
two or more <binding/> subelements, the runtime could choose which of the bindings to use
when connecting to some target service (ie via the @target attribute), assuming that the target
service also supported two or more of those bindings.

Now, all of this is done away with.  Multiple bindings can only be present if they each identify a
specific target.  There is no question of any choice over the binding to use relating to the
bindings specified on the reference.

Of course, the situation is different for a reference with zero <binding/> elements, using the @target
attribute to wire to a service which has multiple <binding/> elements.  In this case, the runtime must
select one of the bindings on the service and is free to choose any one that satisfies the requirements
(intents. policies) on the reference.
</mje>