Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] Re: [ASSEMBLY-88] Proposal discussion

Folks,

Good debate - and the right debate too.

Comments inline

From: Anish Karmarkar <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>
To: Mike Edwards/UK/IBM@IBMGB
Cc: OASIS Assembly <sca-assembly@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 25/11/2008 08:20

At the risk of rehashing the same discussions from OSOA, allow me to
disagree.

The reason I opened this issue was because I noticed that <component> is
not required to have an implementation element. I.e., it can be
implementation independent. The whole reason for creating
constrainingType was because componentType (unfortunately choice of
name)

<mje>
Well, I did try to get the name changed to "implementationInfo" but did not
get support for that....  ;-)
</mje>
is specific to an implementation and *cannot* be shared across
implementations. This lead to creation of three elements: component,
constrainingType and componentType, that look very very similar
syntactically, but serve very different purposes. I'm looking to see if
we can simplify this *without* removing the functionality that is
currently provided.

Sharing is critical here.

<mje>
Well, sharing between what and what?
You seem to indicate the need to share between one implementation and another
implementation.

I take a different view.  The "sharing" is between an Assembler building some
composition and a developer building some component implementation.  The
Assembler, like an architect, lays down a pattern that the developer must follow.

If there are 2 or more implementations that follow the same pattern, it is because
they both refer to the same pattern laid down in the composite.  If you really want
a single file containing the pattern, then that can be achieved through a composite
file containing a single component containing the pattern, which can be used by
include (etc), although personally I doubt that this approach will get used much.
</mje>
It is the usual type-instance difference. You
want the constrainingType (or something similar) to be created once and
used by multiple implementations.

<mje>
This is *absolutely* possible with my proposal - so as an assembler I can lay out
my component requirements and then get 1 implementation in Java today and another
implementation in BPEL tomorrow (and one in PHP the day after...).
</mje>
If you cared about the shape and not
about a specific implementation technology then this allows you to
choose implementations based on the shape and have the SCA runtime
validate/enforce the shape for you.

<mje>
My proposal gives this capability to the assembler
</mje>
BTW, one thing missing in your
proposal is the ability to specific the constrainingType on a
componentType side file (and by extension in an annotation), which is
currently allowed (although the constrainingType section does not
specify this).

<mje>
If there really is a requirement to extend this to componentType side files (and I
have doubts about the need for that), then a simple @constrained attribute on the
componentType could be used, with semantics matching those of @constrained
on the <component/>.
</mje>

The solution that I had in mind was to make sca:component a GED and
allow that to be reused as a constraining type when it does not contain
the <implementation> element. This would not remove the constrainingType
attribute, but allow us to remove the constrainingType GED.

<mje>
This idea is more directed at supporting a different functionality altogether.  It is not
sharing between assembler and developer, but rather to provide sharing across the
composites that the assembler is creating (ie componentA and componentB are
supposed to share a pattern).  Is this important?

As for making a component a GED, this raises the concern about having to make
a reference to a component a QName rather than the current URI, with all the hassles
that include processing brings.  I feel very uncomfortable about that direction.
</mje>

Comments?