Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] ISSUE 5: component type allows to specify wire targets on references

Thank you, Mike... that clarifies some things for me.

Since I neglected this last time... here's the issue link:

http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-5

Though I have advocated the "implementationDeploymentData" notion in
the past (modulo the ugly name), that's not what I'm actually
suggesting this time.  ;-)

Failing to include such metadata in the componentType does not require
us to specify a separate generic mechanism.  The PHP use-case simply
requires a mechanism that works in the simple runtime it envisions.

Let's examine that runtime.  It's only notion of contribution appears
to be a PHP script, which incidentally simultaneously corresponds to
"installContribution", generation of a deployment composite within
that contribution, and "add to domain composite".  The use-case
demands a way to wire the generated components together.  It does not
demand that the same mechanism works in more capable runtimes (ones
that understand deployment composites).

No matter what, the use-case demands an annotation of some kind in the
PHP script to indicate a reference target.  (It also suggests an
annotation to control the component instance name.)  The question is:
who defines those annotations?

Possibility A: the vendor building the simple PHP runtime.

Possibility B: the PHP C&I spec.

In either case, I would suggest that the annotations are defined for
the specific purpose of generating default deployment composites, NOT
as contributing metadata to the componentType.  Even if the PHP group
would deem it important to specify support for "simple runtimes", I
don't feel that it is important for us to support it in Assembly,
since the concept essentially bypasses most of what Assembly is about.

Call me a purist if you will, but I'd much rather avoid the
configuration-in-componentType overriding rules completely, and keep
the model and roles clear and cleanly separated.

Thus my suggestion for issue 5: accept Henning's proposal in the Jira,
and remove the ability to put targets on componentType references.

Scott