Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] Fwd: Conversational services

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the offer, I'll take you up on it. Interoperability (SCA binding aside) is quite key to the overall SCA story because the world is full of non-SCA services, so I don't think we can just cast interop aside. I think vendor extensions are perfectly acceptable. Portability is less important than interop at this point in time (I didn't say unimportant). Perhaps you disagree. I would much rather see vendors experiment with extensions that can be standardized at a later point in time. Conversations seems like a very good candidate for such a thing given all the churn we've had.

Can you explain how you implemented conversations over web services, and the tradeoffs for the design decisions you made? Which pieces of WS-Addressing did you use, etc....

Do you have a need to expose conversations on the "edges" of the Domain...i.e. services and references that reach outside the domain?

Do you support conversations in bidirectional cases? If so, how did you deal with the remote garbage collection problems?

Are your service proxies stateful? Do you have threading restrictions on how/when they can be de-serialized? Can the same serialized proxy be de-serialized concurrently onto two different threads? Can a composite scoped runtime instance be part of more than one conversation at a time?

With regard to n-party conversations, what is the model you're using? How are the parties notified of conversation lifecycle changes? How do they get handles to existing conversations? How do you know when a conversation is no longer valid? Does any one conversation instance have the ability to affect any other conversation?

There may be simple answers to the above that we've overlooked.

Dave Booz
STSM, BPM and SCA Architecture
Poughkeepsie, NY (845)-435-6093 or 8-295-6093
e-mail:booz@us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for Jim Marino ---12/09/2008 12:55:47 PM---Hi, I also should have mentioned that I am willing to share ouJim Marino ---12/09/2008 12:55:47 PM---Hi, I also should have mentioned that I am willing to share our

Jim Marino <jim.marino@gmail.com>

OASIS Assembly <sca-assembly@lists.oasis-open.org>

12/09/2008 12:55 PM

[sca-assembly] Fwd: Conversational services

Hi,

I also should have mentioned that I am willing to share our experiences implementing and using conversational services in more detail if people are interested. This is an extremely important feature to us and I hope SCA continues to provide conversational capabilities.

Jim

Begin forwarded message: