Subject: RE: [sca-assembly] Issue 101: Complete the Conformance Section - Comments on Proposal

Of course I have to disagree about defining the document types. We have to have normative conformance definitions in our spec as what constitutes a valid document. How can we have statements about an SCA Runtime rejecting invalid documents if we don’t have definitions of a valid ones?

One of the reasons to have this definition separate from runtime statements, is if someone claims their document is valid yet an SCA Runtime rejects it as being invalid; who is correct? Now I do not intend to create extra work here w.r.t test cases, but I do think these definitions have to exist.

Martin.

From: Mike Edwards [mailto:mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com]
Sent: 02 March 2009 11:43
To: 'OASIS Assembly'

Folks,

Some comments on the proposal:

1)  I think that making a series of SCA-related documents into conformance points, as per section 12.1,  is unnecessary and unwise.

The only point of making these documents into conformance points is if it is intended to write testcase(s) that will validate those
documents.  I do not believe that we have the resources to write such testcases and as a result, the conformance demands made
here are a waste of time and effort.

What matters is what an SCA runtime does with the documents - we have that fully specified - and we have testcases for these claims.

2) Form of the conformance statement for documents is incorrect.

Should read as follows

"An SCA Composite Document is a file that MUST have an SCA <composite/> element as its root element and MUST conform
to the sca-core-1.1.xsd schema and MUST comply with the additional constraints on the document contents as defined in
Appendix C."

3) "SCA Interoperable Packaging document"

This terminology is not used in the spec.  "Contribution Packaging using ZIP Packaging format" would be correct.

Also the normative statement "A ZIP file containing SCA Documents and other related artifacts which MUST have a
SCA Contribution Document as a top level element."  is simply incorrect.

Section 11.2.3 states clearly that "it can contain a top-level "META-INF" directory and a "META-INF/sca-contribution.xml" file
and there can also be a "META-INF/sca-contribution-generated.xml" file in the package."
- so the contribution file is NOT mandatory and it is certainly not "top level".

4) Item 4 in Section 12.2 - Requirement to implement the Web services binding.

I'd prefer a looser requirement to implement ONE of the adopted bindings.  Forcing Web services in all cases seems more
than is necessary to me.

"Martin Chapman" <martin.chapman@oracle.com>

"'Bryan Aupperle'" <aupperle@us.ibm.com>, "'OASIS Assembly'" <sca-assembly@lists.oasis-open.org>

26/02/2009 14:33

RE: [sca-assembly] Issue 101: Complete the Conformance Section

Bryan,

Fair point. Here is another take. I have also put them into the SCA Assembly TC document archive, as I mistakenly put the first versions  in the Bindings TC!

WORD: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-assembly/download.php/31432/sca-assembly-1%5B1%5D.1-spec-cd02-Rev5%20-%20ISSUE%20101%20v2.doc