Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] NEW ISSUE: Need definition of compatible for propertytypes

Folks,

Comment inline...

From: Anish Karmarkar <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>
To: sca-assembly@lists.oasis-open.org
Date: 07/04/2009 06:28

+1 to raising this issue.

The correct line number for [1] is 1045.

Do we really need this feature? Why allow @type or @element on component
properties?

<mje>
I am somewhat surprised by Anish making this comment!
One of the usecases of specifying the type of a property on a component is to ensure
that whichever implementation is used for that component conforms to the needs of
the component, when building using a top-down approach.  If the type cannot be
specified, then the composite is forced to accept whatever type the implementation
decides to provide and no error would get raised in the case of a mismatch.
</mje>

The implementation declares the type of the property, it is
tricky to allow subtypes and hope that it would get mapped correctly and
would be allowed by the implementation/implementation language
(especially when we want to allow multiple C&I types). Do we lose
anything by removing this?

<mje>
+1 to disallowing subtypes...
</mje>