Subject: RE: [sca-assembly] [ISSUE 132] Rebuttal: Against the use of portability and functions as reasons for requiring one of the existing 4 languages

I will reexamine the material. Does your respond mean that you are willing to remove the requirements on supporting certain languages? I have been having a little trouble with the mailing lists and may have missed your comments.

Thanks.

Dr. Donald F. Ferguson

Distinguished Engineer

Corporate Senior Vice President

Chief Architect Products and Technology

donald.ferguson@ca.com

donff2@aol.com

www.donald-ferguson.net/blog

From: Mike Edwards [mailto:mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:27 AM
To: Ferguson, Donald F; OASIS Assembly; sca-assembly-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

Don,

I agree with you that we should define a conformance test for the SCA Assembly Model spec.

Have you had a chance to look at the test suite materials for SCA Assembly, which can be found here:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-assembly-testing/download.php/32963/sca-assembly-1.1-test-assertions-cd01.pdf
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-assembly-testing/download.php/32961/sca-assembly-1.1-testcases-cd01.pdf
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-assembly-testing/download.php/32967/sca-assembly-1.1-testcases-cd01.zip

I'm interested in your views as to the suitability of this test suite for testing conformance to the SCA Assembly spec.  If you can suggest
improvements, extensions or changes to any of the materials, that would be great.

As I said in my recent note in reply to Jim, one thing we don't say with regard to the current test suite materials is what can and what cannot
be changed in adapting the test materials to suite some new implementation type.  Suggestions for defining this are most welcome.

"Ferguson, Donald F" <Donald.Ferguson@ca.com>

"Jim Marino" <jim.marino@gmail.com>, "OASIS Assembly" <sca-assembly@lists.oasis-open.org>, <sca-assembly-comment@lists.oasis-open.org>

23/06/2009 18:40

RE: [sca-assembly] [ISSUE 132] Rebuttal: Against the use of portability and functions as reasons for requiring one of the existing 4 languages

I do not see any reason to believe that we cannot define a conformance test for SCA Assembly. If we are able to do so, we would not need to require support for the core languages. I assert that 1) We should not assume that we cannot define a compliance test until we have tried. 2) An assembly spec that places requirements on internal implementation languages is flawed.

Finally, I was present in IBM when we started work on SCA. Language independence and encapsulation of implementation was an explicit objective.  The IBM architecture leadership would have vetoed any assembly spec with this requirement.