Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] ISSUE-137: Clarify the use of a binding name ina reference target - proposal (c)

Dave,
I'm sorry that we ran out of time on Tuesday's call before we could
finish the discussion of policy matching for target URIs.

In an attempt to save time on next week's call, I'll summarize my
point here.  I hope this clarifies things rather than making the
discussion even more confused!

 From the spec words before proposal 137c, it was only valid to omit
the <service-name> if there was exactly one compatible service
on the component.  So, if a component MyComp has services "Foo"
and "Bar", and the interfaces of "Foo" and "Bar" are both compatible
with the reference interface, it would be necessary to specify
either "MyComp/Foo" or "MyComp/Bar" explicitly in the reference URI
instead of just "MyComp".  This is irrespective of whether polices
match or don't match, because policy matching is not part of the
definition of interface compatibilty.

The wiring rules require interface compatibility, and they also
require matching policies on reference and service.  So if "Foo" has
matching policies and "Bar" does not, the target "MyComp/Foo" would
be OK and the target "MyComp/Bar" would be an error.

The 137c proposal would make one change to this: it would make
"MyComp" a valid shorthand for "MyComp/Foo" based on the additional
policy matching rule.  It would leave the other cases as before, with
"MyComp/Foo" being OK and "MyComp/Bar" being an error.

If you (or others) interpreted the previous words as allowing "MyComp"
in this case, then the new words are equivalent and clearer.

If anyone interpreted the previous words as not allowing "MyComp" in
ths case (as I did), then the new words would change this.  However,
I don't object to making this change.  One point in its favour is that
the rule stated in the new words is consistent with how autowiring works.

   Simon