Subject: Draft Minutes from 2009-07-28 are attached

Title: SCA-Assy - 2009-07-28

OASIS Logo

- DRAFT -

OASIS SCA-Assembly TC

Attendees

Present

Mark Combellack Avaya, Inc. Group Member
Dale Moberg Axway Software* Group Member
Robert Freund Hitachi, Ltd. Group Member
Eric Wells Hitachi, Ltd. Group Member
Bryan Aupperle IBM Group Member
David Booz IBM Group Member
Mike Edwards IBM Group Member
Simon Holdsworth IBM Group Member
Dieter Koenig IBM Group Member
Simon Nash Individual Group Member
Khanderao Kand Oracle Corporation Group Member
Anish Karmarkar Oracle Corporation Group Member
Rich Levinson Oracle Corporation Group Member
Ashok Malhotra Oracle Corporation Group Member
Jeff Mischkinsky Oracle Corporation Group Member
Sanjay Patil SAP AG* Group Member
Plamen Pavlov SAP AG* Group Member
Najeeb Andrabi TIBCO Software Inc. Group Member
Murty Gurajada TIBCO Software Inc. Group Member
Sabin Ielceanu TIBCO Software Inc. Group Member
Danny van der Rijn TIBCO Software Inc. Group Member
Scott Vorthmann TIBCO Software Inc. Group Member

Chair

Mike Edwards

Scribe

Bob Freund

Agenda:

1. Opening

Introductions
Roll call
Scribe confirmation
Agenda bashing

2. Approval of minutes of previous SCA-Assembly TC meeting
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-assembly/download.php/33484/SCA%20Assembly%20minutes%202009-07-21.html

3. Action Items:

None

4. TC Administrivia

a) 1st Public Review of the Assembly Model spec ended June 23

Public comments list:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-assembly-comment/

b) Looking for Proposals for all open issues - see Item 8 of this agenda

5. Test Assertions and TestCases

Public Review draft has been voted and sent to TC Administration for external posting.
Awaiting response from TC Administration.

6. Existing Issues with Proposals

ASSEMBLY-153: Two schema issues with SCA Assembly CD03-Rev1
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-153

Proposal is in the JIRA

ASSEMBLY 136: Promoting a reference with multiplicity 1..n and targets should default to 0..n
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-136

Proposal is in the JIRA

Latest discussion:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-assembly/200907/msg00064.html

ASSEMBLY 80: Create an Event Processing Model for SCA
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-80

Directional proposal is in this email:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-assembly/200906/msg00129.html

ASSEMBLY 144: ASM50030 and ASM50031 (CD03) are duplicates
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-144

Proposal is in JIRA

ASSEMBLY 147: Assembly Specification does not define the Component Type of a Composite used as an Implementation
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-147

Proposal is in JIRA

ASSEMBLY-150: Some TestCases can only be implemented using specific implementation Languages
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-150

Proposal is in JIRA

ASSEMBLY-155: Namespace problems in C/C++ .componentType files
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-155

Proposal is in JIRA

ASSEMBLY-156: Spec is unclear if callback binding names need to be distinct from forward binding names
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-156

Proposal is in JIRA

7. New Issues

ASSEMBLY 159: Align Test Assertion Document with latest Draft Assembly Spec
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-159

ASSEMBLY 160: Section 12 does not require an SCA Runtime to raise an error in all error situations
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-160

8. Existing Issues without proposals

ASSEMBLY-132: Microsoft technical comment about the SCA Assembly Model specification #1
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-132

ASSEMBLY-149: Few comments from Siemens
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-149

ASSEMBLY 138: Assembly specification unclear on Contribution vs Deployment - when can errors in artifacts be reported?
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-138

ASSEMBLY 139: What is a constrainingType file supposed to look like?
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-139

ASSEMBLY 140: Need TAs and testcases for property/@file and property/@many=true
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-140

ASSEMBLY 142: Need a normative statement for @autowire inheritance
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-142

ASSEMBLY 143: There are no conformance statements in section 8.5 (CD03)
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-143

ASSEMBLY 145: Unmarked MUST on line 1030 (CD03)
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-145

ASSEMBLY-157: Make support for constrainingType an optional compliance point
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-157

ASSEMBLY 158: Composite property example contradicts spec definition
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-158

8. AOB

Contents

Topics
[1]  Opening
[2]  Action Items
[3]  Administrivia
[4]  Test Assertions and Test Cases
[5]  Existing Issues with Proposals
[6]  ASSEMBLY-153: Two schema issues with SCA Assembly CD03-Rev1 http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-153
[7]  ASSEMBLY 136: Promoting a reference with multiplicity 1..n and targets should default to 0..n http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-136
[8]  ASSEMBLY 80: Create an Event Processing Model for SCA http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-80
[9]  AOB
Table of Resolutions
Table of Action Items

Action Items

Resolutions

Minutes

Scribe: Bob Freund

Opening

Roll - quorate with 19 of 26 voting members present
Agenda - agreed
Resolution: Minutes of 2009-07-21 approved w/o

Action Items

-none-

Administrivia

Edwards:
A couple of items in review comments are outstanding and are represented by isues
Plamen's LOA request is approved w/o

Test Assertions and Test Cases

TC admin gas the documents but they are yet to be posted, Edwards is following up

Existing Issues with Proposals

ASSEMBLY-153: Two schema issues with SCA Assembly CD03-Rev1 http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-153

proposal is in the Jira
Motion: m:Malhotra s:Booz Resolve Assembly-153 with the proposal in Jira
Resolution: m:Malhotra s:Booz Resolve Assembly-153 with the proposal in Jira w/o

ASSEMBLY 136: Promoting a reference with multiplicity 1..n and targets should default to 0..n http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-136

proposal is in the Jira
Edwards:
Dave Booz and I have been working on an alternative proposal. Perhaps we can wait for an alternative proposal that we are working on?
Nash:
I do not think that my proposal is complex, rather the current spec itself is complex, I would be interested in seeing a simplification as well as a proposal that resolves the issue.
Folks agree to defer discussion until the alternate proposal is ready

ASSEMBLY 80: Create an Event Processing Model for SCA http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-80

Mischkinsky:
I suggest that we schedule a parallel set of meetings to discus eventing to allow discussion in a timely manner.

...Asynchronous disconnected models are really important to many applications.
<jeff.mischkinsky>
sorry about the noise
<jeff.mischkinsky>
yes, additional meetings for assembly TC
<Simon Nash>
ok...
<Simon Nash>
i think that comes first
<jeff.mischkinsky>
to consider the eventing
<jeff.mischkinsky>
proposal/direction
<Simon Nash>
before we talk about Java, BPEL, etc.
<jeff.mischkinsky>
my point about java/bpel is that there IS work to do there, and we will be making initial proposals to get that work started
<jeff.mischkinsky>
orcl don't have any expertise on the c/c++
<Scott Vorthmann>
+1 to Sanjay
<Sanjay>
It's not a question of who contributes resources but it is also a matter how much can the market digest - SCA already carries a risk of being considered as too complex, I think.
<Sanjay>
Is SOA irrelevent today without SCA?
<jeff.mischkinsky>
no, but it is not standardized
<jeff.mischkinsky>
first time someone has accused me of being optimistic in a while :-)
<Sanjay>
Right so why don't we solve that (non trivial) problem first!
<jeff.mischkinsky>
this has been on the agenda for assembly since the beginning
<Sanjay>
our original plan was also to have finished our work a year ago :-)
<Sanjay>
Let us not forget that the Eventing spec contribution addresses mainly Assembly aspects - we need to work out language and protocol bindings.
<Sanjay>
Let us also not forget that we need at least two implementations for exit criteria - we have been struggling to get that even for the current SCA specs
<Sanjay>
Of course we need all the testing work also done too
<EricW>
Even an additional 3-6 month delay seems a little too long to wait for any official SCA release
Edwards:
Summarizes - we have a proposal to start work in parallel meetings within the Assembly TC as well as some related work in the language TCs

...there are also concerns as to the potential impact on the schedule on the current work
<Sanjay>
Do we have a 'Deferred' state in the issue model?
Motion: m:Vorthmann s:Combellack Close Assembly-80 with no action
<Sanjay>
+1 to Simon
Motion: m:Nash s:Combellack to amend by replacement "Defer Assembly-80 until the 1.2 release od SCA Assembly"
<Sanjay>
what is a release?
<Sanjay>
OASIS Standardization?
Mischkinsky:
Without eventing, then SCA will be incomplete and unacceptable
<EricW>
If Eventing is so important why wasn't it included in the original OSOA spec?
<Scott Vorthmann>
because it is hard for everyone to agree upon
<Scott Vorthmann>
many ways to skin the cat
<jeff.mischkinsky>
becuase it took the osoa group a while to work it out and produce a joint proposal
<EricW>
Which implies it will be longer than 3-6 months for incorporation into SCA?
<gilbert.pilz>
not when you consider that the contentious bits have been worked out
<Scott Vorthmann>
we do not believe the contentious bits have been worked out at all
<EricW>
But the same could be said for the base Assembly spec itself (OSOA -> SCA)
<Ashok>
Scott, I disagree ... some of us have spent a lot of effort working out the contentious bits
<EricW>
All I'm saying is the if eventing is so critical that you can't release a spec without it why did that happen for OSOA?
<Scott Vorthmann>
;-)
<gilbert.pilz>
an error in judgement?
<Scott Vorthmann>
please allow me to retain my own opinion on which bits are contentious
<anish>
not really error in judgement. it was more about pipelining and efficiency
<jeff.mischkinsky>
if we vote to close, then properly w/o opening the issue, it can't even appear on agenda
Motion: m:Nash s:Vorthmann Calls the previous question
motion for the previous question passes with unanimous consent.
motion to amend by replacement passes with unanimous consent
<jeff.mischkinsky>
+
Motion: m:Nash s:Sabin calls the previous question on the main motion as amended
Karmarkar objects to U/C
result of a roll call vote was 12 yes 8 no
Call for the previous question fails at 60%
<EricW>
How about one or two additional calls to get a feel for how much work is needed?
Time.....expired
Edwards:
Please carry on in the email list and lets find a way to move forward.

AOB

straggler roll
Adjorned

[End of Minutes]
Formatted on 2009-07-29 at 08:50:55 GMT-4

Minutes formatted by Schreiber, a collection of XSLT stylesheets by Bob Freund modeled after David Booth's scribe

Schreiber diagnostics output

[Delete this section before publishing the minutes]

final validation: Title not specified, default title 'OASIS SCA-Assembly TC...' was assumed

statistics: Schreiber found 89 input lines

edits: Schreiber found no text-edit commands

command-scribe: Line 2: Since the line number is less than or equal to 20 we will interpret this as a scribename command, note that the scribe command is deprecated

command-scribe: Line 2: Bob Freund is recognized

command-scribe: Line 2: Bob Freund's nick Bob has been selected

command-chair: Line 3: Since the line number is less than or equal to 20 we will interpret this as a chairname command, note that the chair command is deprecated

command-autoroll/oasis: Line 139: Attempting to fetch roll from http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-assembly/event.php?event_id=16102

command-autoroll/oasis: Line 139: Successfully fetched roll from http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-assembly/event.php?event_id=16102

system: Transformer: SAXON 9.1.0.7

[End of Schreiber diagnostic output]