Subject: Issue 157: alternate proposal

After the discussion last week on issue 157 and the proposal to make it
optional, Dave, Ashok and I had a call about issue 157. Few of my
thoughts on the issue and an alternate proposal:

1) The proposal to make it optional dilutes the utility of constraining
type. Especially, if runtimes that don't support it are allowed to
silently ignore it.

2) There are two aspects of constraining type:
a) A constraining type can be specified on a component type (either in a
component type side file or on the composite, which results in the
constraining type being part of the introspected component type of the
composite.
b) A constraining type can be specified on the component. This ensures
that at runtime/deployment an appropriate type check is made.

As MikeE pointed out, (b) can be achieved by using recursive
composition. This would be similar to how BPEL C&I got rid of component
type side files, since recursive composition does the same job.

(a) above allows one to look for components (implementation.composite or
components that belong to some specific technology) with a particular
shape and provides some typing support in the system. While I think such
a typing support does have a useful purpose, this is more of a design
time issue then a runtime issue. If we were to remove constraining type
from the spec, it will reduce complexity of the spec, can still be
introduced in a subsequent version of the spec (perhaps with more
experience on the design-time aspects of SCA), and would allow a runtime
to introduce such a feature through proprietary design time/tool
extension as a value-add.

So I'll propose that instead of making it optional, we remove the
concept all together. This would require that we remove the appropriate
section and all mention of it in various sections through out the
assembly spec (and other specs) as well as the pseudo-schema and schema
(in appendix and in the stand-alone schema). Note that this would be a
non-backward compatible/breaking change. I see this as a better way to
resolve issue 157 than making it optional.

Comments?