Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] Issue 132: Sanjay's Proposal - Discussion

My thoughts:

As to the "Description Document", this seems to me like a perfect fit for the Creative Commons licenses (http://creativecommons.org - perhaps we have to enumerate the acceptable ones?).  I don't know if you have to demand URL addressability, because people will laugh at you if it isn't (does a document exist if I cannot download it from the web?).

I don't think you want to say that is available to "read without charge", because "charge" is very difficult to pin down.  People might want to read it on paper - who pays for the printing?  What if the document happens to be large - who pays for the bandwidth?  If it is freely copyable based on the license, then vendors attempts to charge (unreasonably) for the original copy downloaded from their site, they will immediately be undermined by annoyed people posting the document elsewhere.

Here's a slightly trickier question - what's the point of the description document?  I gather the aim is to document the implementation type, not to make it possible for anyone else to also implement said implementation type?  Because if it is the latter, then we'd need some language that specifically indicates some sort of patent conveyance, in addition to having the freedom to simply copy the document describing the technology.

As to the software test suite, I think we should consider separately the license of the Assembly-TC provided test suite, and the one that we want to require be delivered by the vendor in this scenario.  I think the appropriate license for the vendor provided "proof of interoperability" is almost certainly Apache 2.0 (http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html).  Why?
  • Apache license includes a clause related to patents, one which is not found in either the LGPL or GPL v2 license.  I further cannot see any significant (legitimate) patents being required for  a test suite, so this shouldn't be a high hurdle.
  • Any GPLv3 (which does have a patents clause) based test-suite would then include code that would then be difficult to incorporate in other circumstances other than with other GPL licensed code.  For example, the test suite might reveal code useful code that companies might want to incorporate into their own test suites, or that might work in the official SCA Assembly test suite, or that help to interoperate with the implementation type provided by the vendor, and so on....
  • The goal of the license on the test suite is not to encourage contribution back to the vendor of any changes to the test suite, as LGPL or GPL would do.  Rather, it is for everyone else to be comfortable running and modifying the test suite to fit the test suite into environments that it wasn't originally written for.
We probably also want to be clear that we don't want to prevent dual licensing of either the description document or the corresponding test suite.  That way, if a vendor wants to release the test suite also under a license that better fits their business model, whether that be a full GPL license, or a completely proprietary one, that should be OK.

One last point - I'm uncomfortable with one aspect of this - a vendor gets to write a description document, but we've not laid out any clear criteria here for what would be minimally acceptable.  Do we think we can?

-Eric.

Mike Edwards wrote:
OFBC4F72C0.3FF431F6-ON8025765D.0049B17E-8025765D.004EF4E9@uk.ibm.com" type="cite">
Folks,

We had an interesting but short discussion of this proposal on our TC call yesterday.  I'd like to follow up on that discussion.

I think that the main points that have been made about this proposal concern the term "publicly available" that is used in relation to
both the Description Document for the new implementation type and in relation to the Modified Assembly Test Suite that uses the
new implementation type for all of its low-level implementation artifacts.

There was also a point made about any limitations with respect to functionality that a new implementation type might have and
how these might be handled.

1) "Public Availability" of the Description Document and the Test Suite

This has been at the heart of my concerns relating to relaxing the current requirements.

With everything published as OASIS, we are assured of the kind of public availability that we desire.  Once we move away from
that, things get harder to pin down.

Remember that the reason for making these stipulations is to allow for the "court of public opinion" to be used as a
method of policing any claim made for conformance.  Only by having the materials on which the claim is based openly
available to anyone will it really be possible for this mechanism to work.

"Public Availability" of the Description Document.  This I think is tough to organise.  My thought is that we want the capability for
anyone to obtain a copy of the Description Document without being tangled up in needing to agree any restrictive license terms.
We could stipulate that the Description Document:
- must be available on a public website
- must be available for anyone to read without charge
- must be available on license terms which are equivalent to the OASIS license for the SCA Assembly specification, or which are more permissive
However, I recognise that this is not so easy to specify in a way which can guarantee the kind of open access that we might
desire.

Regarding the Test Suite code, we could attach a form of open source license to the current Assembly test suite artifacts which
requires publication of any modified test suite under the same license (eg GPL or LGPL).  This might seem heavy handed but
it would give certainty about the availability of the code of a modified test suite.  The alternative would be to choose a less
onerous license (eg Apache 2.0) but then require that the modified test suite is made available under that same license in order
for the implementation type to qualify as "conforming" to SCA Assembly.

I note that in either case, we must be clear that there is absolutely no requirement for the SCA runtime relating to the implementation
type to be made available - the terms applying to the runtime itself can be whatever (commercial) terms the company concerned
might choose.

2) Handling of Limitations of Functionality of a new Implementation Type

This is a tough question, since we have not really faced an implementation type which has restrictions.

The problem I forsee is that if (say) we had an implementation type that could not provide SCA properties, then there is a set
of the Assembly testcases that such an implementation type would inevitably fail.  The failures imply that the runtime using that
implementation type as its (only) implementation type would not be able to claim conformance to SCA Assembly.

I am not sure that we are ready to deal with this at the moment.  I think that we shall have to wait until we are presented with an
implementation type with restrictions.  At that point, we can properly assess the restrictions and I think that the best idea would
be to create a "profile" - define a set of function that applies to that style of implementation and a subset of the Assembly test
suite that it would have to pass.  This is for some future version of the test suite.  I think we should ignore it for the present and
require that all the test suite is passed.