Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] Concerns raised by Siemens

Jim,

Here are my responses to your points, done inline as <mje>...</mje>

From: Jim Marino <jim.marino@gmail.com>
To: OASIS Assembly <sca-assembly@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 20/01/2010 17:10

Sure. Here they are:

1. There are no technical objections. The issue is about how to enforce items A & B mentioned above? [Note, items A and B where described by Mike as:

" a) A specification or document that describes the implementation type and its relationship to the Assembly model, in particular the
      componentType derivation must be spelled out in detail.

 b) A version of the test suite using the implementation type must be run against the runtime"]

2. Why was the "copyleft" style license unsatisfactory?
<mje>
A license of the "GPL" style is unacceptable to IBM.  Period.
We will never vote in favour of such a license.

My understanding is that other companies who are members of the TC have a similar view.
</mje>

3. What guarantees are in place to ensure a vendor claiming conformance to the existing SCA specifications does in fact conform? I'm assuming there is nothing legally binding and the only check in place is "public opinion".
<mje>
There is nothing legally binding that anyone claiming conformance to the SCA specs actually does conform.

You're right, the conformance claims are subject to the "court of public opinion".

One of the items under debate here is exactly what is required in order to make this court of public opinion work effectively.

The existence of a test suite is meant to help here - in principle, it should be possible to get hold of the test suite and run it
against any runtime claiming conformance to SCA.  While this cannot guarantee that the runtime conforms to all the normative
statements of the SCA specs, it should give assurance that it does conform to a high proportion, and that it does so in a way
that has a consistent interpretation of the specification.

So, for a runtime that ONLY supports some new implementation type, there is a concern to ensure that there is a valid version
of the test suite available.  This is one of the points that proves to be tricky.

The second point is that logically, if there is a new implementation type, it is only possible to make sense of that type if there
is a document that defines it in SCA terms - so that an implementation artifact can be understood in terms of the SCA Assembly
model.  This is the second point at debate - how is it possible to require the availability of such a document (I'm assuming that
we can define the contents of such a document in a straightforward fashion, although it might take considerable work to write
it down...)

Without both of these items in place, a vendor could make a claim of conformance that the "court of public opinion" would be
unable to check in an effective way - which would mean that such a claim of conformance would have no meaning.
</mje>

4. What guarantees are in place to ensure a vendor makes their software and any necessary artifacts to run the SCA conformance tests available? Again, I'm assuming there is nothing legally binding and the only check in place is "public opinion".
<mje>
Agreed - same issue that is debated above.

For the SCA runtime, we can assume that it is available somehow - but it may be that it is only available under commercial terms to
customers who pay.  Fair enough.  That may also be true for the test suite and for the document(s) describing new implementation
types.  And that is a problem, since if availability is restricted,  then that's like rigging a jury - some of the people who might best
be able to pass judgement on the document, the (modified) test suite and the conformance claims may not be able to see or use
any of the materials.  Customer may not even be able to consult the "outside experts" legally.

This is a knotty problem.

If the test suite didn't have to be adapted, then things would be a bit easier.  But we're not in that place...
</mje>

I'm also a little puzzled as to why the issue was closed with no action instead of deferred until 1.2, particularly if it is the desire of TC members to revisit the issue in that timeframe? There seems to be precedent for deferring issues, such as Assembly eventing and conversations.
<mje>
I don't recall the debate in the F2F about this, but I don't think it makes much practical difference.

You're welcome to raise an issue against 1.2 on this topic.
</mje>

Jim