Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] [ASSEMBLY-197] Java classes do not follow standard capitalization in test classes - PROPOSAL

I have never seen a convention like this used, and it goes against recommendations spelled out very clearly in the JLS. If the goal is to be able to identify implementations, that can be done easily by simply appending an "Impl" suffix. Also, existing tools that I am aware of - e.g. IDEA IntelliJ - will display classes and implementations in different colors with specialized icons, presumably using the introspection facilities provide by the Java API. If those do not suffice, there is always the fallback to looking at the "class" and "interface" keywords in source. I therefore don't see how de-capitalizing implementation classes assists in identifying them.

My initial reaction when I came across the naming scheme was that it was an error as it is foreign to anything I have seen in Java. I am sure I am not the only one that has made this assumption.

I'm dismayed with the seeming intransigence on this issue as it is quite trivial to fix and makes the test cases look as if they were written by people not familiar with Java conventions. Similar to the package name discussions a while back, if OASIS is going to provide Java artifacts, it ought to adhere to recommendations made by the official Java language specification as opposed to inventing its own scheme.

Jim