Subject: Draft Minutes from 2010-10-26

All,

     attached are the draft minutes from the teleconference of 2010-10-26.

BTW: I am trying to port the formatting tools so please check for accuracy (attendance, etc).

Best Regards,

                      Eric.

Eric Wells

JP1 Consulting Engineer

Hitachi Computer Products (America) Inc.

Cell: +1 415 672 2594

eric.wells@hitachisoftware.com

Title: SCA-Assembly - 2010-10-26

OASIS Logo

- DRAFT -

Oasis SCA-Assembly Teleconference

Attendees

Eric WellsHitachi, Ltd.
Bryan AupperleIBM
David BoozIBM
Mike EdwardsIBM
Simon HoldsworthIBM
Diane JordanIBM
Peter NiblettIBM
Jeff EstefanJet Propulsion Laboratory
Martin ChapmanOracle Corporation
Andreas EgloffOracle Corporation
Anish KarmarkarOracle Corporation
Rich LevinsonOracle Corporation
Ashok MalhotraOracle Corporation
Jeff MischkinskyOracle Corporation
Gilbert PilzOracle Corporation
Sanjay PatilSAP AG
Plamen PavlovSAP AG
Eric JohnsonTIBCO Software Inc.
Danny van der RijnTIBCO Software Inc.

Chairs

Martin Chapman
Mike Edwards

Scribe

Eric Wells

Agenda:

1. Intro

Roll call
Scribe confirmation
Agenda bashing

2. Approval of minutes of previous SCA-Assembly TC meeting

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-assembly/download.php/39927/SCA%20Assembly%20minutes%202010-10-12.html
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-assembly/download.php/39975/SCA%20Assembly%20minutes%202010-10-19.html

3. Action Items

id=2010-09-22-3 status=pending owner="Anish" Produce concrete proposal for ASSEMBLY-241 based on directional resolution in F2F minutes
id=2010-09-22-8 status=pending owner="EricJ" produce new proposal for ASSEMBLY-227
id=2010-09-22-9 status=pending Raise issue WRT cardinality of channels

4. TC Administrivia

a) Public Review of Test Suite Adaptation and Implementation Type Documentation Requirements for SCA Assembly Model v1.1
- started on 31 August
- ends 30 October 2010

5. New Issues (1.2)

ASSEMBLY-246: Provide Location within SCA Contributions for eventType Declarations
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-246

7. 1.2 Specification Open Issues

ASSEMBLY-227: Promotion of consumers and producers undermines composability
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-227

Proposal
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-assembly/201004/msg00044.html
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/37273/sca-assembly-1.2-spec-wd01-issue-227.pdf
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/37272/sca-assembly-1.2-spec-wd01-issue-227.doc

Discussion from F2F:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/sca-assembly/download.php/39643/SCA%20Assembly%20minutes%202010-09-22.html

ASSEMBLY-235: Remotable interface compatibility should not be restricted to a WSDL 1.1 mapping
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-235

Outline Proposal:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-assembly/201010/msg00023.html

ASSEMBLY-238: (1.2): eventType element, EventType type declared twice in schema, eventType.xsd used but not defined
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-238

Proposal:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/39973/sca-assembly-1.2-spec-wd01-issue238v1.doc
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/39974/sca-assembly-1.2-spec-wd01-issue238v1.pdf

ASSEMBLY-239: (1.2): Business data filter element needs better name, definition
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-239

Proposal in JIRA

ASSEMBLY-233: Define how Policy works for SCA Eventing
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-233

No Proposal

ASSEMBLY-241: binding decl for producer/consumer are problematic
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-241

No proposal

ASSEMBLY-243: Is the default channel configurable?
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-243

No proposal

ASSEMBLY-244: How to enable extensibility to multiple bindings on a channel
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-244

Outline proposal in JIRA

ASSEMBLY-245: Adopt the WS-RA Event Description specification to declare SCA Event Types
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-245

Proposal in JIRA

ASSEMBLY-247: What are the requirements on an SCA Binding for eventing purposes?
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-247

No proposal

ASSEMBLY-248: RFC2119 wording and conformance statement need to be added for event processing
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-248

No proposal

8. AOB

Contents

Topics
[1]  Opening
[2]  Action Items
[3]  Administrivia
[4]  New Issues
[5]  Existing Issues
[6]  AOB
Table of Resolutions
Table of Action Items

Action Items

Resolutions

Minutes

Opening

Role 14/20 = 70% Quorate
Agenda - accepted as posted
Approval of minutes
2010-10-12
2010-10-19
No objections to adopting both sets of minutes
Resolution: Minutes of 20101-10-12 accepted w/o
Resolution: Minutes of 20101-10-19 accepted w/o

Action Items

id=2010-09-22-3 status=pending owner="Anish" Produce concrete proposal for ASSEMBLY-241 based on directional resolution in F2F minutes
id=2010-09-22-8 status=pending owner="EricJ" produce new proposal for ASSEMBLY-227
id=2010-09-22-9 status=pending Raise issue WRT cardinality of channels

Administrivia

a) Public Review of Test Suite Adaptation and Implementation Type Documentation Requirements for SCA Assembly Model v1.1
- started on 31 August
- ends 30 October 2010

New Issues

ASSEMBLY-246: Provide Location within SCA Contributions for eventType Declarations
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-246
MartinC takes Chair
MikeE:
Reviews issue

...considered before, but people not happy with wording - rewritten

...Summary - No appropriate location for eventType declarations
AnishK:
Need a "pointer" to schema location from contributuions - ala schema - use a separate file for eventTypes

...can see eventTypes being defined outside contributions (either inside or outside domain)
<anish>
at the very least we need something like a .evd extension
<anish>
and maybe evdLocation attribute, but not much esle
MikeE:
Currently no way to specify anything about eventTypes
AshokM:
Thought we'd agreed to put in definitions file?
MikeE:
No - that's the point!
Motion: m=MikeE s=EricJ Open ASSEMBLY-246
No furhter discussion - No objections
Resolution: Open ASSEMBLY-246 w/o

Existing Issues

MikeE:
ASSEMBLY-227 next but no activity so will skip
ASSEMBLY-235: Remotable interface compatibility should not be restricted to a WSDL 1.1 mapping
http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/ASSEMBLY-235

Outline Proposal:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-assembly/201010/msg00023.html
EricJ:
Have discussed for some time - would like to get some sort of direction from TC

...current proposal allows any IDL as long as it's the SAME on both ends of wire

...thinking of new pproposal ...

...Can allow any IDL's as long as they map to some COMMON IDL and that mapping is compatible

...(Not necessarily WSDL 1.1)
MikeE:
How is common IDL defined - how to decide what to use?
EricJ:
Don't think we can define that

...proposing that runtime may have knowledge of possible mappings and can choose
MikeE:
But then can't predict whether application will run on different runtimes
EricJ:
But do we want to force interfaces to be declared incompatible if there's not good mapping to WSDL 1.0?
MikeE:
That's not the question - what IDL do we use?
AnishK:
Thought we wanted to require mapping to WSDL to ensure interoperation

...but as pointed out current spec does not say this
DannyV:
To answer Mikes' question - mapping would be implementation defined

...possible that an application could work on on runtime and not on another

...developer would need to check runtime documentation

...I think increased compatability WITHIN runtime is preferable to increased portability BETWEEN runtimes
EricJ:
Requiring mapping to WSDL raises possibiliy of false +ve and false -ve for compatability checks
MartinC:
OK with same IDL on each end but not with using arbitary one depending on runtime
<anish>
i'll type my response to Eric here, rather than get in the Q, which is getting longer: Eric, I agree with you wrt false +ve/-ve. That is a compromise to get to a common IDL (WSDL 1.1) -- which would be the lowest common denominator
<anish>
currently we define compatibility is such a way that already allows for false +ve/-ve
MikeE:
Vendor could support Eric's idea, but should be outside standard and not "accommodated" in spec
<MartinC>
sounds good to me
EricJ:
Compromise - Can't map any two IDL's to a third and claim compatible
<Mike Edwards>
would (either of) the interface specs say that there is such a mapping?

...could allow IDL on one end to map to the other IDL (or WSDL)
<anish>
couldn't that be defined in the spec for <interface.foo>?
<Mike Edwards>
Anish: I would be OK if the spec for <interface.foo> defined the mapping

...runtime would have to decide on what mapping to use
AnishK:
Mapping for interfaces should be portable IFF the interface is support by runtime
MikeE:
Mapping should be portable between runtimes - otherwise not part of spec
Note Diane Jordan for role
EricJ:
Would be happy to make another proposal but need a direction from TC
Time - 2 minutes

AOB

Straggler role
Anish Karmarkar, Diane Jordan
<Mike Edwards>
Thanks Eric
<Mike Edwards>
Bob - my condolences
Mike exhorts people to thrash out ASSEMBLY-235 on list
<MartinC>
<Mike Edwards>
;-) nicely put Eric
<MartinC>
thanks Eric W
Meeting adjourned 9:00AM PDT
EricW:
NP - I should be able to get the minutes out later today

...Tools aren't completely working but far enough to tweak the o/p by hand where needed

[End of Minutes]
Formatted on 2010-10-28 at 14:16:16 GMT-7

Minutes formatted by Schreiber, a collection of XSLT stylesheets by Bob Freund modeled after David Booth's scribe

Schreiber diagnostics output

[Delete this section before publishing the minutes]

final validation: Date not specified, the date '2010-10-26' was assumed

final validation: Title not specified, default title 'Oasis SCA-Assembly Teleconference...' was assumed

final validation: Chair not specified, default chair was assumed

statistics: Schreiber found 85 input lines

edits: Schreiber found the following text-edit commands:

edits: Line 57: s/WSDL 1.0/WSDL 1.1/

command-scribe: Line 3: Since the line number is less than or equal to 20 we will interpret this as a scribename command, note that the scribe command is deprecated

command-scribe: Line 3: Scribe 'Eric Wells' is recognized by use of the nick 'EricW'

command-scribe: Line 3: EricW's nick 'EricW' has been selected

citation-detection-scribed: Line 25: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'ASSEMBLY-246'

citation-detection-scribed: Line 49: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'ASSEMBLY-235'

edit-substitute: command on line 57 succeeded, changed line 56 from 'WSDL 1.0' to 'WSDL 1.1'

edit-delete: Line 57 was deleted

citation-detection-scribed: Line 113: Check for possible unrecognized nick 'Meeting adjourned 9'

system: Transformer: SAXON 9.2.1.2

[End of Schreiber diagnostic output]