Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] Action item: 01-18-2: Distinction between global andlocal channels

Hi Eric

Thanks for this helpful set of thoughts. I have put some responses in.. I started out just by commenting on what I think the current spec draft says and doesn't say.. but further on down it turns into my own thoughts.

Regards

Peter Niblett
IBM Senior Technical Staff Member
Member of the IBM Academy of Technology
+44 1962 815055
+44 7825 657662 (mobile)

From:        Eric Johnson <eric@tibco.com>
To:        OASIS SCA Assembly <sca-assembly@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date:        25/01/2011 05:25

As per my action item 2011-01-18-2: "Johnson to propose more concretely what the different roles of global vs local channels might be"

In the discussion of ASSEMBLY-250, Peter and I found ourselves looping back to ASSEMBLY-227.  Specifically, I highlighted a problem with understanding the meaning of a "channel".  Consider that a channel might stand for:

2.        A specific binding to an existing system: Attach a "binding.jms" (assuming we define how this works) to a particular channel inside of composite.  This specific binding can attach to an existing use with an existing non-SCA system.
3.        A bottom-up definition of a particular "topic" destination, to be late-bound by a higher-level composite.<pn> I don't understand the difference between a "topic destination" and a "logical scope". Do you mean the ability to exchange messages between two separate composites by having them use the same channel? At the moment the spec permits this if the channel exists at domain level and both composites wire to that global channel. Or are you suggesting that if two composites use local channels which happen to have the same name then events should flow between them? That is definitely not in the spec at the moment  - indeed the official name for a local channel is "private channel", which is intended to suggest just that.  </pn>
Consider the aspects that we (currently) can tie to a channel: Further, a channel is defined in two different ways: Case #1: global logical scope -

One problem we've identified with global logical scope is that it undermines composability (ASSEMBLY-227).  For example, many different components of type implementation.composite might be deployed to the domain, and all of them might reference a global domain channel.  Either we're imposing a significant top-down burden on those components, in that before they can be deployed, they must adhere to the constraints applied to the global channel, or we have a myriad different bottom-up perspectives, and they don't necessarily mesh in obvious ways.

For example, in my //Sales/North America channel, I might be producing information gleaned from public sources about sales by competitors.  I might also be producing information about internal sales successes, and key information like the value, which must be kept extremely confidential.  Do we intend that //Sales/North America encompass both?  If not, why not?
<pn> at the moment it's your choice. You can define one channel (and use filters to segregate the information) or two separate ones. I think your issue here is that you want some

When I go to deploy a component that references a global domain channel, what if it hasn't been defined?  What does that mean?  Must that be an error?  Why?
<pn> The spec explicitly allows producers and consumers to be unconnected (though interestingly the description of source and target says that they are lists of one or more URIs), but I couldn't say anything about what happens if they are wired to a non-existent channel. </pn>

What if the global domain channel is redeployed after some components that use it have already been deployed?  What does that mean?

Now, assuming the global domain channel has been defined & deployed, the problems we face:

Policies:
Some deployed components might use the global channel (a "scope"), and indicate a policy of confidentiality.  Others might not care.  Since the actual implementation can assign these two different scenarios to different JMS topics, this doesn't seem to be a problem.  But is the policy on a global domain channel actually meaningful?  One hypothetical policy intent I think is of use - something like "jms", or "apple-bonjour", "tibco-rv", or "amqp".  That is, I don't care to bind to specific JMS details, but I want to indicate JMS.
<pn> We haven't really talked about policies yet, but doesn't this give you a way of asserting a policy that applies to all users of the channel? Isn't it better to do this once on the channel, rather than in all the producers and consumers? </pn>

Binding:
I suspect this is utterly useless on a global domain channel.  Why would I want to allow a global domain channel to bind to a single JMS topic, when I've defined myriad components that only want to listen for specific kinds of events....
<pn> Similarly, if I want to map the channel to a JMS topic, so that applications outside SCA can send/receive, then the global channel gives me a single place where you can do this. Is there a reason why we would think this is a bad thing to allow? </pn>

Filters:
Seriously bad - I've defined all sorts of components that reference the global domain channel, and in its initial definition it has no filter.  Then it gets redeployed with a filter that blocks some of the events that used to get through.  Conversely, the GDC is already deployed, but now I go to deploy a component that sends messages to that channel and those events will be filtered out.  Error or no?
<pn> What we are touching on here is whether the channel should just provide a venue that producers and consumer attach to, or whether it also defines the content that a consumer receives if it connects. Many event distribution systems are strongly typed, and permit only a single event type per channel - indeed some have a 1-1 identification of event type with channel. So we have filters on channels to allow people to follow that model if they wish. It also means that they don't need to remember to code filters on their consumers (so the answer to your question is "no error"). If you adopt this model then of course you have to be careful when you change the filters on your channels - just like you have to do when changing the interface implemented by an Object in an OO language.</pn>

Events:
Can't really declare which events end up on a global domain channel.  At least not usefully.  After they are *global*.
<pn> As above, I don't know what you mean by "events" here </pn>

Conclusion: Global domain channels are really a notion of "scope".  It makes no sense to assign most policy intents to them (possible exception of transport intents).  A concrete binding is likely a mistake.  Filters make no sense.  Declaring events makes no sense.  In other words, a global domain channel is merely a scoping label.

Case #2:
A specific binding to an existing system.

This scenario supposes a channel definition within a composite, where the assembler puts a specific binding on the channel.

Very useful - within a composite.
<pn> I assume you mean a channel local to a composite used in an implementation. These are by definition private channels, and so you shouldn't be able to bind them to an existing JMS destination at all. This removes the problems that you mention below </pn>

Policies:
In the most general case, policy intents and policy sets are unlikely to be unenforceable in practice, because it will be difficult or impossible to verify that an existing JMS destination meets the constraints dictated by SCA, since the SCA runtime is not deploying the destination.  We've dealt with this in the context of existing SCA bindings by punting to the implementation.  Same considerations likely apply here, so this concern is a wash.

Filters:
Not clear what this really means.  Since the existing use of the JMS topic likely sends messages not modeled in the SCA space, what do event filters mean?  They can't mean filtering out messages for all recipients - at best only those recipients defined by SCA.  The filtering can only be done once the message is received by the consumer.  Certainly possible to apply filters, but certainly of odd utility.

Events:
Provides incomplete information, but then it has always been thus.

Case #3:
Bottom up definition of a transport concept, such as a destination

 <pn> To my mind, you can only do this (today) using global channels, and since these destinations lie outside SCA that doesn't sound unreasonable to me. So isn't this the same as case #1 ? </pn>

In this scenario, I'm defining an application that delivers messages via logical placeholders for destinations in the ultimate transport (such as JMS Topics, or RV subjects).  In my composite, I define one or more "channels" - the placeholders, if you will - and for each producer or consumer I connect to them, I want to fully specify which events I produce or consume.

If the sending and receiving is not limited to my particular composite, I may want to promote the logical information about the channel, rather than the producers and consumers separately - see the diagrams I've drawn with respect to 227 for the weird cases one might run into.

Policies:
Useful, as this constrains how others might also use a promoted channel, and provides meaningful information about how the channel should be used.

Filters:
Possibly useful for consumers.  Unlikely to be relevant to the channels themselves, as I wouldn't create a channel in a composite, wire it to producers, and then block some of those messages from going through.

Binding:
Perhaps very useful.  Early binding of where messages should be sent, but sometimes appropriate.

Events:
Critical meta-data about what's being sent and processed via this logical construct.  Helps identify places where producers and consumers might not be talking the same details - helps find errors, and further, if promoted past the edge of the composite, helps identify the purpose of the logical construct.

Some Conclusions

Case #1 seems to differ radically from cases #2 & #3.  Perhaps I've explained them poorly above, and I should go into more detail, or that others see solutions that I don't?
<pn> My interpretation of #2 and #3 seems to differ from yours, so I have #1 and #3 being the same, and #2 somewhat different </pn>

Contemplating case #1, I wonder why we bother to call the "global domain channels" channels.  They seem like message scopes.  I don't know why we'd require that they exist before the first producer/consumer that uses them is deployed.  If we assign policies to them, I don't know what that means.  I cannot imagine ever allowing them to be redeployed with any meaningful changes to policies, filters, or events, which makes them seem quite static.  I don't know what a binding means for them.

<pn> Well I would use #1 to do the binding to the outside world, which makes it more than scope </pn>

In addition, the naming seems arbitrary.  Is "//Sales/North America" different from "//North America/Sales"?
<pn> We punt on this at the moment, by leaving naming to the user, and we don't impose/allow any hierarchical names. Topic based pub/sub systems often do have hierarchical topic namespaces, and getting the hierarchy right is a genuine challenge for application developers </pn>

My suggestion is that we simply don't refer to global domain channels as channels any more.  For now, let me call them "scopes".

I would want to see a componentType expose the "scopes" that it uses, either via producers or consumers - whether or not the producers and consumers on those scopes are themselves "promoted" is somewhat silly, because by binding to the scopes, the producers/consumers are promoted.

A scope, it seems to me, is just a collection of names.  The distinction between "//North America/Sales", and "//Sales/North America" is arbitrary and capricious - our systems are difficult enough as it is.  So why not just "sales, north america"

In a radical departure from what we've currently got, I don't see why scopes have a definition at the domain level, rather they are an emergent property of what has been deployed.  If someone starts putting intents on uses of "scopes", then what that simply means is that only consumers and producers with matching intents will get paired up.

<pn> Ok, I think I see what you mean by "scopes" now.. it's a kind of non-hierarchical categorisation of the events that can flow in the system (topics if you will), but that raises a lot of questions, which will take us back round in circles if we aren't careful..

i) What's the relation between these topics and event types?
ii) Is there any overlap between topics? For example does "north america" include "sales, north america", or the other way round, or not all ?
iii) Can I apply policies at a topic level, or do I have to mark up all the producers and consumer?
iv) Can I segregate the producers/consumers using a single topic into different groups, or does every consumer associated with a topic get all events produced by any producer associated with that topic?

As for channels, I see those as being useful within a composite, as they've been defined today.  However, as per the proposals for 227, I want to see it as possible to expose the information about the defined logical message source/destination in the component, so that it can be used by higher up composites, as components are composed.

Sorry, that turned out to be a lot, but it seems there's a lot to the discussion.

-Eric.