Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] Action item: 01-18-2: Distinction between globaland local channels

Pulling some of the points up:

Martin: (In response to channels being deployed in different ways) Regardless of where it is defined the semantics are the same, so im not sure why this is a relevant distinction at this stage.

Eric: Except they're not.  As I noted in the email I just sent to Mike, the fact that global domain channels can be deployed separately from the uses dictates a life-cycle distinct from those things that use it.  I'm pointing out that from the use-cases I can see, this has implications about the model we actually want to define for them.  Do they even need to be deployed, or can I just start referring to them?  Not sure what you mean by "at this stage."

Martin: (In response to top down constraints) Indeed you do need to know something about the domain, and it does support a top down model.

Eric: Apparently, though it supports a top down model at the cost of a bottom-up model - if I can't just start using the global domain channels.

Martin: (In response to whether global domain channels are deployed automatically) good question. Two choices 1) reject the deployment or 2) create all undefined channels

Eric: Really?  That leaves such a wide-open door for incompatibility between eventing implementations.  Either we mandate (1) or (2), or we allow the end user to control the choice of (1) or (2).  Deserves an issue.  Care to raise it?

Martin: (In response to what it means to redeploy a global channel) I don’t see global channels as being special here, though we would have to define this, and what is possible.

Eric: Of course, the very fact that we do need to define this highlights how they are special.

-Eric.