Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] ISSUE 254: Names of channels should allow "/", should bedeclared as URIs....

Eric

In path oriented addressing schemes (like files in a hierarchical file systems), the last (leaf) part of the path is often the name of the object itself, while the rest of the path describes the context in which it is situated (and also disambiguates multiple objects that have the same name). So, a bit like Martin says,  I am wondering what you are asking for is actually a way to define some kind of formal relationship between channels, and that it would be better to tackle that question, rather than allow a syntax which could allow some people to inter a relationship by convention.

Also  we say that you can reference a channel binding by taking the URI of the channel and appending /bindingname.  So if you allow global channels to have / in their channel names, then you could have a channel called //A with a binding called B and also a channel called //A/B  - both of which would have the same URI.

Regards

Peter Niblett
IBM Senior Technical Staff Member
Member of the IBM Academy of Technology
+44 1962 815055
+44 7825 657662 (mobile)

From:        Martin Chapman <MARTIN.CHAPMAN@ORACLE.COM>
To:        OASIS SCA Assembly <sca-assembly@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date:        01/02/2011 13:48

The only concern I have about this issue/proposal is that its seems to imply that there is a relationship between global channels that is somehow understood by the SCA Runtime. As currently defined there are no architectural relationships between global channels, which is why I think we originally settled on a NCname. Changing this to a URI might allow a user to imply some relationship between global channels, but an SCA Runtime will not be aware of such relationships.

Martin.