Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] Concrete Exit Criteria for the SCA Assembly TC - Proposal

On Mar 03, 2011, at 10:49 AM, Eric Johnson wrote:

> Are we arguing two different things in this thread?

i think we are conflating 2 different topics:
    I agree that claiming conformance does not REQUIRE passing the
test suite. That's about what products have to do in order to make
legitimate claims.

> Danny is saying that the charter does not require two
> implementations passing the test suite.
>
> Jeff is saying that the charter does require two implementations
> passing the test suite. At least, that's what I interpreted his
> response to mean.

yes but that's not for the purposes of conformance. It's for
satisfying the exit criteria, 2 impls passing the test suites which
cover all the normative portions

> I side with Danny - conforming to the normative portions of the
> specification does not (currently) imply passing the test suite.

Actually i think it does as a practical matter - irrespective of
charter requirements, etc.
  How could a conformant implementation not pass the test suites?
(assuming for the moment the test suites are correct and have no bugs)

> And further, based on the email from Mike about what the test cases
> suite covers, passing the test suite does not imply conformance.
Passing any given set of tests never implies conformance. Passing the
test suites is a necessary, not sufficient condition.

-jeff