Subject: Concrete Exit Criteria for the SCA Assembly TC - Proposal

Folks,

I'd like to focus us back on the proposal for the Exit Criteria for the Assembly TC.
Let's separate this from any discussion of Conformance and whether any changes are
needed in the Conformance section of the Assembly spec.

I propose the following as the Exit Criteria to be adopted by the SCA Assembly TC:

"The Concrete Exit Criteria for the SCA Assembly V1.1 specification are that:

o there shall be 2 independent SCA runtimes that are compliant with all normative portions of the
specification as described in Section 12.2 of the SCA Assembly V1.1 specification

o the 2 independent runtimes shall pass the Test Suite for SCA Assembly as described in the document
'TestCases for the SCA Assembly Model Version 1.1 Specification' "

There is some debate over the first point and some more debate over the second point:

- for the first point, the question of how to handle optional portions of the specification is under debate

- for the second point, the question of whether it is necessary to have this point at all is under debate

I observe that strictly, all that is really required is the first point.
The second point is simply one way of getting assurance that the first point has been achieved.

We could relax the second point, at the cost of less simple language, something like this:

o the 2 independent runtimes must provide a demonstration of their conformance to the SCA Assembly specification
and it is recommended but not required that this is done by the runtime passing the Test Suite for SCA Assembly as described in the
document 'TestCases for the SCA Assembly Model Version 1.1 Specification'

However, I believe that ultimately the TC will simply make a decision based on whatever SCA runtimes are presented
claiming conformance - and the TC can make a judgement (vote) based on any materials it thinks fit.

Yours, Mike

Dr Mike Edwards  Mail Point 146, Hursley Park

STSM  Winchester, Hants SO21 2JN
SCA & Services Standards  United Kingdom
Co-Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC
IBM Software Group
Phone: +44-1962 818014
Mobile: +44-7802-467431 (274097)