Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] Which Normative Statements are Covered by theAssembly Test Suite?

On 3/11/2011 12:03 AM, Mike Edwards wrote:
OF7F579CDA.D2C3E93F-ON80257850.002B0977-80257850.002B84A4@uk.ibm.com" type="cite">
Folks,

Comments inline

Yours, Mike

Dr Mike Edwards  Mail Point 137, Hursley Park
STSM  Winchester, Hants SO21 2JN
SCA & Services Standards  United Kingdom
Co-Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC
IBM Software Group
Phone: +44-1962 818014
Mobile: +44-7802-467431 (274097)
e-mail: mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

From: Anish Karmarkar <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>
To: sca-assembly@lists.oasis-open.org
Date: 11/03/2011 00:33

On 3/10/2011 10:16 AM, Mike Edwards wrote:

> Martin,
>
> ASM40012 requires an implementation type that uses componentType side
> files (untestable in general)

True. But should be tested by the c/c++ testsuite, which does use CTs.
I see this similar to the wiredByImpl feature -- untestable in general
but the BPEL testsuite should test it.

Personally, I'm happy if a feature (any feature) is tested by at least
one of the SCA testsuites.

<mje>
I'd be grateful if you could check with the folks writing those test suites
</mje>

Bryan has already replied wrt this part.

OF7F579CDA.D2C3E93F-ON80257850.002B0977-80257850.002B84A4@uk.ibm.com" type="cite"> > ASM50044 is basically untestable

Can you elaborate on this, please?

"When a property has multiple values set, all the values MUST be
contained within a single property element. [ASM50044]"

I can think of two tests for this:
a) positive: set a multi-valued property using a single property
element. eg:
<property name="currency">
  <value>EUR</value>
  <value>USD</value>
</property>

(I suspect we already have something like this, but haven't checked)

b) negative: set the same multi-valued property using two property
elements. eg:
<component ...>
   <property name="currency">
      <value>EUR</value>
   </property>
   <property name="currency">
      <value>USD</value>
   </property>
</component>

<mje>
There is a test like that BUT it is really testing for a different normative statement -  the
one that disallows 2 <property/> elements with the same value for @name....

Hence "untestable".  Unless you want to claim that the @name testcase also tests this
one too....
</mje>

I think (a) in combination with (b) does test this assertion. Since (b) already exists, all we need is (a).

OF7F579CDA.D2C3E93F-ON80257850.002B0977-80257850.002B84A4@uk.ibm.com" type="cite">
> ASM12013 relates to deployment behaviour (which takes alternative forms)

I agree. But that raises the question:
Should we get rid of one of the MUSTs in there. It seems like it is
listing all possible things that an implementation can do. Which is a
nice thing to have, but doesn't have to have a 2119 keyword.

> ASM12028 relates to a feature that is optional - ie
> sca-contribution-generate.xml (even though the behaviour is mandated if
> you do have one of these)

Right. Neither is sca-contribution.xml required to be there inside a
contribution.
But this feature isn't optional for the runtime. Since these are tests
for the *runtime*, I don't see why this won't be tested. In fact,
ASM12026 would require this to be tested as well.

<mje>
Umm, the sca-contribution-generated.xml is supposed to be created only as part of the
deployment process, I believe.  If it is not so created, what is the value of any testcase?
Since THAT function is optional, I don't see the value of a testcase.
</mje>

I see this very differently.
sca-contribution-generated.xml is generated by tools as opposed to someone firing up an editor. For example, a tool that creates the contribution a la 7-Zip. I think of this as part of the "pre-deployment" process. When present in the contribution, there is nothing optional about it, the deployment/runtime has to be able to handle it. Since our tests contain pre-packaged contributions, I don't see why we can't test this.

OF7F579CDA.D2C3E93F-ON80257850.002B0977-80257850.002B84A4@uk.ibm.com" type="cite"> -Anish