Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] issue 243: is default channel configurable? Proposals

Hi Eric,

Thanks for pointing out the flaw in proposal 1. If we were to go down that path then we'll have to fix it. We did discuss this issue on the call today, but didn't take a decision as folks wanted more time to think. I took an AI to continue discussion on this list and summarize (hopefully correctly) the concall discussion here.

I think we need to figure out which direction we want to go: do we want to allow one to configure the default channel in a standard portable way or not? Disallowing configuration of the default channel in the spec, I don't think, is a good idea. Either we say it is undefined (or stay silent) OR we specify exactly how it is done.

Mike has made an argument that we ought to provide a standard way to configure the default channel (for things like JMS, policies etc.) Personally, I could go either way with a slight preference for some version of proposal 1. I find the argument, default channel configuration is going to be similar to non-default channel configuration and therefore providing standard way to do this would allow the same tools to configure the default channel without having to invent new ways for every implementation, persuasive.

If we decide we want to go with some modified version of proposal 1. We'll have to figure out how to conform to the production rules for NCName. One choice is to use __DEFAULT__ (as suggested by Eric) or some other reserved value (that doesn't include ':', '/' etc). If we do that we'll have to figure out whether this reserved value applies only to global channels or all channels. Another choice (proposed by Danny) is to add another attribute (boolean) called 'default_channel' (or something similar).

We informally decided on resolving this issue next week on the concall, so please send your opinions/comments on the ML.

Thanks.