Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] Re: [sca-assembly-comment] Ballot closure

Hi Mike,

Fabric3 does have plans to pass the other required specifications so it would indeed be a pity to try and close the TC prematurely. Unfortunately, perhaps due to misunderstanding, no one contacted me or other Fabric3 committers recently (at least since the beginning of last year as I recall) to ask about our plans.

My company is also building a commercial product around SCA so there is widespread SCA support both in open source and commercially, particularly for a standard that has not yet been finalized. In addition, we have received strong uptake and SCA has proven to be an excellent technology in a number of diverse applications: government (legacy integration), financial services (low-latency), and telco (highly-reliable back-office). Based on implementation experience, I can say that without SCA those projects would have taken significantly longer and risked failure if based on other, existing technologies.

If this means Tuscany and Fabric3 have to carry the burden of bringing the standards to closure, I guess that will have to be the case.

<soapbox>
As you said, I also believe there are important lessons for future standardization work. In particular, some member organizations pushed *very* hard for complex, far-reaching, and time consuming exit criteria. I think that is fine if those members were/are prepared to invest resources in achieving those goals. However, that has not been the case. When we explained the challenge of the current exit criteria, there was not a willingness by the "hardliners" to reconsider or offer to help move the process forward. Of course there were some notable exceptions in the TC, but the consequence has been that those arguing for a less complicated and far-reaching approach are now left with investing the resources to complete tasks that are not directly relevant to our user base.
</soapbox>

Now that I'm off my soapbox, I want to say unequivocally that Fabric3 will claim conformance to the remaining required specifications: the Web Services binding, Policy, and an implementation. Based on our track record with Fabric3 and assembly conformance, I don't think there should be any question of our ability to deliver on this promise.

Can we please reconsider closing the TC and instead work towards finalizing it?

Jim