Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] New Issue: Remove dependencies on SCA Policy and SCA WS Binding

Hi,

As I mentioned in the discussion on Tuesday and as I understand Eric's points, WSDL really isn't a "core" (understood as "indispensable"/"central",etc.) Assembly concept: it is a specific constraint for a particular situation. In fact, SCA originally did not require WSDL mappings in any form prior to OASIS. This constraint was added after the fact. This is one set of evidence that WSDL is not critical to Assembly.

The other evidence is empirical: Fabric3 does not rely on WSDL. Like Web Services and Policy, it can simply be removed and forgotten. The runtime will continue to work (actually, more efficiently :-)).

It's also worth noting that the original two proposals were to decouple Assembly from the Web Services binding and Policy. It does not necessarily follow that WSDL constraints should be removed from Assembly, although that would not be a bad thing.

I've already provided evidence in the form of the Fabric3 runtime that decoupling Assembly from WS-* and Policy is not only practical but can be done in a very simple way. A few people have made the contrary claim that Assembly is inextricably tied to Policy and WS-*. Can someone offer specific technical examples as evidence of why those specifications must be coupled?

Jim